Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oosc Problems

Melba

We have a fairly new OOSC and are still working out a few problems. We are in the grounds of a school but seperate from them.

Today one of the children (we don't collect KS2, they come on their own) had not been told by his mum to come to us and ended up in the office where one of my staff found him. My question is, what would have happened if he had been able to walk home on his own and had left the school grounds? We could have checked the school office and phoned the mum but as she is obviously at work, that would not help the child. There are only 2 members of staff on duty as we are still small so one of us could not go and look for the child. Equally there are not enough of us to collect from every class.

At the start I spoke to the head about letting the teachers know if one of their class was coming to us that day but he was not really interested as it was too much hassle for them so that won't happen. We do let the office know who is coming but that won't help if the child just goes home. And they wouldn't even know to come back to us when they find nobody is at home.

So what do I do apart from make the point to parents that it is incredibly important that they tell their children what is happening?

Hi

How many children are in the club daily?

Can you do a school walk, abit like a walking bus to collect the children.

Can the teacher or teaching assistant not bring them to the club.

Can they be dropped to a central place like the school hall to await collection.

AM

we do the walking bus around the school and collect from each class we are an infant school only so we only have 5 classes to collect from this site. we also do a walking bus from our sister juniour school which is a 15 min walk we use 4 staff for the walking bit then 2 of them go home. we pick up all on our list even if the child says mum didnt say then ring mum for comfirmation as we have had a previous mix up in the past. when we where ofsteded they accompanied us on our walk to see the safety side of this perhaps you should look at a risk assesment and weigh up the pros and cons as it were.

could you employ a teaching assistant to do the key stage 2 collections?

sue

We give a weeks register to the office on Monday that goes to each year group, any change is updated by phone. Children then come to the hall to meet a member of staff, years r and 1 are delivered by a TA and the others come to the collection point. Works for us but quite a small school. Even so we have had an instance where the child hasn't been aware and there has been confusion but as the onus is on the teachers who have all the information I feel we have done all we can to cover ourselves. I have to say that I'm certain the teachers don't even look at the register and it's always down to us to chase round and resolve any issues! There seems to be a huge difference in how we veiw our responsibilities to keep the children safe and the schools at this transition. The other problem we have is children coming from school with injuries from the day. They couldn't understand why I then insisted on an existing injury form being completed!

We give each class a copy of the register with the children from that class who are highlighted being the ones that must go to club. The teachers read out the list at end of last lesson. We collect from reception and year 1 due to age and they are in a buildingacros playground

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)