Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home Visits

Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

We had a checklist, but we sent out an infomation booklet to each family to find out more detailed information before we visited so we knew if there was anything specific. You may find this list useful....

How are parent/child feeling about starting?

Siblings/ family set up/ siblings not living at home?

When born were there any problems at birth?

Has child had recent hearing/eye checks?

Any irrational fears?

Any pets at home?

Any medical issues/medication in school?

As a family do you celebrate/recognise any particular religious festivals?

Does child attend any out of school activities?

Explain basic format of first day – where to drop off and collect, what door and time?

Who will be collecting?

If collected by childminder/other adult are you happy for us to discuss any issues with them?

Check on fruit snack/milk/free milk forms

Do you have all the uniform/pe kit/drinks bottle/apron etc?

Sandwiches/lunches/free meals?

Remind parents to label everything!

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

I don't do home visits but was very interested to read about them. I have three induction mornings in June/ July with parents I give them a book to complete with photos of family, child's interests etc. I do visit every child at preschool and have a chat with their key worker. I think the idea of one activity afternoon per week with parents might be worth trying although sometimes it can be upsetting for children if their mums come or if they don't come! Photos of school staff dinner hall lunchtime staff classroom playground etc all available on our website to all new intake families and preschools from June. We are also sending a nursery rhyme cd recorded by this years children to all new intake.

I have made and (as a result of talking about it got another of our schools to make!) a photo story of the reception school day. Lots of pics of way in to reception, pegs, lunchbox trolley, teachers and assistants, taking register, activities out in area and carpet areas for the three classes, outdoors,toilets ( a big worry for some) lunchtime,including food and cook and dinner ladies etc plus some of othadults they might see. Great for talking about after we have taken them for a visit and good preparation for their visits towards end of term. It's about 50 photos altogether and we keep it updated every year.

korkycat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)