Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Animals Topic

Hi everyone!

After the Easter holidays I am starting a new topic on 'animals' with a small group of foundation stage special needs children. I have never taught this topic before so I am looking for any activity ideas as i'm sure some of you will have taught this topic!

Thanks

Katie

We have just done a few weeks on 'Pets' which the children loved. I had a lovely student for this topic and the most successful activity she did was bringing in a toy dog called Bob who then went 'missing'. The children made Missing posters, hunted for clues (including muddy footprints painted on by my TA) and eventually found him. They absolutely loved it!! She also read them 'Dear Zoo' and then each day that week a parcel arrived from the zoo with an unsuitable pet. The children wrote back to the zoo saying why it wasn't suitable and on Friday a toy puppy appeared! We had a role play vets inside and a pet shop outside, did lots of work with money and addition/subtraction. We also had a visit from a local pet shop owner who brought in lots of animals. All in all, a great topic!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)