Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cross Curriculum Topics For Yr 2

KST

Hello lovely year 2 teachers,

Just wondering what good topics you have done in year 2? I'm moving to year 2 in september and want to make learning cross curricular so any advise how get a topic that encompasses a varitey of subjects would be very useful! Got a lot to get my head around coming from reception! I will have direct access to outdoors so hoping to use that lots! x

I think you can make anything work for you but you will need to decide how you are going to ensure coverage. We bought the Quiggley skills document and have used that (level 1 skills for yr1 and level 2 for yr2 approximately!) We have also allocated the science topics across the year and then fitted other things and contexts ie topics to that. Literacy Units and Numeracy Blocks can also be adapted and allocated as appropriate. ( I dont like either particularly but they do ensure that you have covered what is required!) We have also tended to take a theme as a stimulus each term on which to base our whole school displays.

Have fun!

My favourite Y2 topic was chocolate!! (I'm in reception now) we used charlie and the chocolate factory as a starting point for literacy, visited cadbury world for our trip, designed and made our own packaging for chocolates in DT, science was changing materials, geography we researched Ghana. Our term ended with a chocolate factory day where we set up a production line for chocolate manufacture in the classroom and made a range of chocolates and sweets to take home to fit into their packaging they had made. We also use Chris Quigly skills it gives you so much more freedom!

Deb

• 1 month later...

We have just done bats! It was fab. Used the TASC wheel idea and had a whole learning wall of our work. Easiest and by far the best display I have done for a long time!

• 3 months later...

ive have a mixed age group- we are also boy heavy last term we did dinosaurs which went down well we have chocolate, castles and farming planned for this year

• 1 month later...

Chocolate is a good one if your very boy heavy as most children like chocolate! Castles is good as well because you have the whole knights angle for the boys and the Princess angle for the girls. Make sure you don't make everything boy orientated. It's tempting when there are so many boys but it's good for the girls to have things aimed at them as well. Besides which I've had boys who have loved the story of Cinderella more than anything else we've done all year!

• 4 months later...
Hello lovely year 2 teachers,

Just wondering what good topics you have done in year 2? I'm moving to year 2 in september and want to make learning cross curricular so any advise how get a topic that encompasses a varitey of subjects would be very useful! Got a lot to get my head around coming from reception! I will have direct access to outdoors so hoping to use that lots! x

Take a look at this schools Contexts as they call their topics some great ideas and some idea of coverage on their web page. Click on overview then on Year Two!

http://www.ridgewayprimaryschool.org.uk/co...s_for_learning/

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)