Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where To Begin?

I have been asked to look into setting up an EYFS unit within our school. At Present we have no nursery class but an on site preschool. I have no idea where to begin! would appreciate any advice.

Edited by Guest

I have been asked to look into setting up an EYFS unit within our school. At Present we have no nursery class but an on site preschool. I have no idea where to begin! would appreciate any advice.

Hi there

I think your first priority would need to be asking if the on site preschool are interested in working in partnership with the school. Do you currently have good relationships with them, and do you already do anything together?

If it seems a good idea from both parties, I would then contact your LA to find out their legal stance on it. It varies from County to County, but Devon and Oxford did have good examples of information and protocol on their council websites, try googling it.

HTH, let us know how you get on with initial enquiries, and then we can help some more :o

Clare

Maybe try and visit some other settings with foundation stage units and get some ideas :o

Thanks for replying,

I have been to 2 already, the problem is there are only 3 in our authority!! I'm finding it really hard to get people to answer my basic questions and the Early Years Leader from the authority gave me the great advice of 'I'm not sure..look on the internet!'

Will keep plodding on!

Hi there

I think your first priority would need to be asking if the on site preschool are interested in working in partnership with the school. Do you currently have good relationships with them, and do you already do anything together?

If it seems a good idea from both parties, I would then contact your LA to find out their legal stance on it. It varies from County to County, but Devon and Oxford did have good examples of information and protocol on their council websites, try googling it.

HTH, let us know how you get on with initial enquiries, and then we can help some more :o

Clare

Thanks for the advice,

At the moment its all hypothetical meaning I can't really approach pre-school! My authority has offered me little help so far, it's difficult to speak to the right person. Will definately look at Devon and Oxford websites and let you know how I get on.

Cheers - really appreciate your help.

I'm finding it really hard to get people to answer my basic questions and the Early Years Leader from the authority gave me the great advice of 'I'm not sure..look on the internet!'

Will keep plodding on!

Ask away! I have been leading and managing a FS unit for the last 6 years

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)