Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeast Tuff Spot

hi evryone, quite a while since ive writtenn a post on here. I'm doing minibeasts nest half term....obviously having a tuff spot small world area related to minibeasts. Apart from the obvious of sorting activities what other ideas is there i could do with my reception class?

any bright ideas would be much appreciated

thankyu xxxx

Dont know if you have considered having Butterfly kits are always popular with the children.. this supplier uses native species which are safe to release into the wild.. and are good. Deliver ours on dates we want every year.

we have also had ant farms and wormeries... spider tank...

have you tried a forum search there are probably many ideas already given before..

Hi

Last year i set up a science

It included

A long shallow tray filled with jellibaf

Plastic tweezers

magnifying glasses

Safety goggles

large white shirts

information cards re mini-beasts from the nature detectives web site (maybe some other interesting activities on here.

clear plastic tubs (the kind you get sequins or glitter in) with a photograph stuck of a mini-beast on the lid and a number in front of each jar.

I hid all of the mini-beasts in the jellibaf and told the children they had escaped from the specimen pots. I told them i needed help to collect them back up and put them back in the appropriate pot.

it went down really well with the kids and there was loads of language generated. The tweezers were great for developing finer motor control and they were looking closer at the features of each minibeast e.g wings and legs and counting too.

I did provide clipboards and pens at the beginning but they just needed time to explore it and next ti me i would provide them later with a focus relating to how they were using it.

The equipment did get a messy but nothing a quick swill with water in between sessions didn't solve. the children even took this role on placing them into a bowl and taking them to our low level sink!

I did also see another post on here somewhere about using string to make a freindship web at circle time.

Trasong :o