Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should I Apply?

Lucie

I've seen a Rec teacher post at a school near me that is expanding to have a larger PAN. hence why the post is available.

I'm happy in my current situation but am the only EYFS teacher in a small school, and had always thought that eventually I would like to lead EYFS provision, which is not going to happen where I am because it is only one intake (I suppose I'm already leading that!)

The school (on website) looks great, really well resourced and I think it would be good to work in a EYFS team.

But like I say I am happy where I am and don't wantto 'rock the boat' in a small school if I apply and don't get it

:o

Lucie x

Why would you be rocking the boat, Luice?

You have very valid reasons for wanting to move on and your HT cant argue with that. Go and have a look at the school, and make your decison from that. Experience as working in a team can only benefit you long term and if you dont like the new school when you are working there, you move on sooner rather than later!

It is very different working in a small school to working in a large school and you are going to need to make a move sometime and far better to make it from a position of comfort than from one of desparation.

Good luck.

Visiting the school can help to make the decision for you. I recently had an nursery manager's position which I was so sure that I would accept if offererd but before the interview I spent the morning in the setting and I am so glad I did. I realised that it wasn't all I thought it was, it needed alot of money spending on it etc etc and actually helped me to put alot of things into perspective.

I'm not suggesting that this would be the same in your case, however a visit may help!

Good luck!!

I think you need to ask yourself where you see yourself in 5 years and then in 10 years time. What do you need to do to get there? It is wonderful to be happy where you are, and for that reason it can be hard to make a move but it can be surprising how rising to a new challenge can make you feel happy and confident about yourself. Working as part of a team is really satisfying and supportive and it can be very lonely being the only EY's teacher in school.

Very sound advice from Susan and do go and look at the school to get the 'feel'. Something else I would find out is whether they move their staff around through the age ranges, or if this is a permanent EYFS position.