Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Ideas!

I have been shortlisted for interview and have to teach a Year 2 class of very able children a 20 minute lesson of poetry in the school rather than in my own setting. I would be really grateful for any help on this! Has anyone got any great ideas for challenging children in poetry (not sure what type I presume any type), but will only be a short lesson. Also been told that the IWB is promethean (is this much different to smart boards?_

Hope someone can help soon!!!!!

Lilactime x

I had an interview in another setting rather than my own and had to teach poetry too but for Year 1. I used a list poem - 10 things in a wizards pocket (look on TES resources site). I read the poem to the class and then asked them to imagine they went on a journey to the bottom of their garden/bark play area. What would they find? I also took in some insects that I discovered in my garden, some tadpoles (all H&S adhered to!), bark, deflated balloon, empty crisp packet, half eaten apple, toy, etc and had pictures on a powerpoint as a stimulus too. I then demonstrated a spidergram (thoughtshower/brainstorm) on WB to record 10 things they would find at the bottom of the garden and.All the chn went off to do this - I had the TA work with the LA group, I worked with the middles and the tops were indep. The chn then came back and we then thought about words to decribe one of their ideas e.g. scary spider, wriggly worm etc. They then went off and did that again with the same support. Finally we came back and modelled writing it on the board and they then went and finished their own. I've used this also in class and the children have really enjoyed this - but was Year 1. You could also do a countdown poem on a theme.

As for the boards - go to the Promethean website - you can download a copy of activ inspire as a trial - the main difference between smart and promethean boards is that you only use a pen on the board and can't use your finger. You can convert smart notebooks to promethean flipcharts. It might also be worth checking with the school if they are using Activ Primary or Activ Inspire as I know there is a thing that you can't open flipcharts in Activ primary.

Good Luck!

I had an interview in another setting rather than my own and had to teach poetry too but for Year 1. I used a list poem - 10 things in a wizards pocket (look on TES resources site). I read the poem to the class and then asked them to imagine they went on a journey to the bottom of their garden/bark play area. What would they find? I also took in some insects that I discovered in my garden, some tadpoles (all H&S adhered to!), bark, deflated balloon, empty crisp packet, half eaten apple, toy, etc and had pictures on a powerpoint as a stimulus too. I then demonstrated a spidergram (thoughtshower/brainstorm) on WB to record 10 things they would find at the bottom of the garden and.All the chn went off to do this - I had the TA work with the LA group, I worked with the middles and the tops were indep. The chn then came back and we then thought about words to decribe one of their ideas e.g. scary spider, wriggly worm etc. They then went off and did that again with the same support. Finally we came back and modelled writing it on the board and they then went and finished their own. I've used this also in class and the children have really enjoyed this - but was Year 1. You could also do a countdown poem on a theme.

As for the boards - go to the Promethean website - you can download a copy of activ inspire as a trial - the main difference between smart and promethean boards is that you only use a pen on the board and can't use your finger. You can convert smart notebooks to promethean flipcharts. It might also be worth checking with the school if they are using Activ Primary or Activ Inspire as I know there is a thing that you can't open flipcharts in Activ primary.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that Bluesheep - some great ideas to get my brain thinking and thanks for the help with the IWB. Think I will have to make do without using that - just my luck that I will plan to use it and then it will let me down!

Again, thanks for your support

Lilactime

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)