Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gingerbreadman Role Play

Okay _ I am trying to have a go at deconstructed role play. We have been doing trad. tales and the chn had a great time with my enhancement basket for the 3 pigs, but I'm planning to do the Gingerbread man next week and am struggling to think what to put in my basket apart from face masks, or animals in the story - feel something is missing.

Also, need to make some provision for mark making. I have covered area with lining paper and with the 3 pigs story got some great writing (speech bubbles no less!) and pictures of the pigs on paper. Is this sufficient. being moderated next week so want it to look like I've given it thought.

How about some beautiful blue fabric for the river. Some gingerbread man pastry cutters, a recipe for gingerbread in your basket. A piece of real ginger root to show the children. Might even have a real gingerbread man, and - I have in the past made him out of stiff brown paper and decorated him using tippex as icing and adding other bits and bobs, then laminated him. You could have him cut in half, and cut into a quarter for at the end of some stories he is heard to say, I am a quarter gone, I am half gone and then the final gulp all gone!

How about some beautiful blue fabric for the river. Some gingerbread man pastry cutters, a recipe for gingerbread in your basket. A piece of real ginger root to show the children. Might even have a real gingerbread man, and - I have in the past made him out of stiff brown paper and decorated him using tippex as icing and adding other bits and bobs, then laminated him. You could have him cut in half, and cut into a quarter for at the end of some stories he is heard to say, I am a quarter gone, I am half gone and then the final gulp all gone!

Hi

We did The Gingerbread man for a visit from our Early Years advisor who was looking at child-initiated play. We had really good comments back so I will let you know what we included. We made playdough but added red/green to make brown and then added some Ginger powder to make it smell like Ginger dough alongside Gingerbread family cutters.. We used Ginger powder in the paint for them to paint a large Gingerbread man but put root ginger for them to make the buttons etc. We put GBM templates and the children used different materials to decorate them. Then we had split pin parts to make a GBM. We have a Tuff spot that we put blue cloth in and put soft toys in for them to act out the story alongside a storymap that we previously did to remind them...we follow Pie Corbetts storytelling of the GBM. In the roleplay kitchen we made it into granny's kitchen...mark making was fabulous with recipes, shopping lists etc. I cut out GBM ond put numbers on them and patterns on them...sorting but pattern/girl and boy/ hair colour as well as ordering numbers on a little washing line which help physical development. Outside we had stop watches and cones and the children timed and recorded on whiteboards/paper how long it took the GBM to run up and down. We had chalks for them to draw the GBM story and characters on the ground.

I hope this helps.

Brownie x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)