Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sef Grading Your Setting

Just revising our SEF. I seem to remember someone saying that their inspector had told them they should have rated themselves higher, i.e. outstanding in some areas rather than good, if I recall correctly. I have 2 questions about this: firstly, can anyone point me in the direction of criteria to decide which category we are, and secondly, if we rate ourselves too low, would this limit the level we could actually achieve? Presumably not because it wouldn't work the other way round, if you rated yourself too highly!

I think I'm over-complicating things through looking at it too long, but everyone on here is so helpful!

It might have been my message you are thinking of. In our recent inspection the inspector told us the only criticism of our SEF was that we had been rather modest in the grading sections.

Rating yourself too low or too high won't impact on the result you receive. I think they look for 'true and accurate reflection' in the SEF where you acknowledge what you do well and identify where and how improvements could be made, I think they then look to see whether they can see evidence in your practice to support what you have said in the SEF. Well that's my recent experience and understanding after asking the inspector about the impact of SEF. :o

Last time I was inspected I put 'Good' for everything. That was before the EYFS when it was just a form. The inspector disagreed and said I was Outstanding.

So this time I put Outstanding in all areas on the SEF as they were the ones who called me Outstanding, and I know I have improved even more since that inspection. I don't really like to grade myself as I don't think I am in a position to judge whether or not my provision 'stands out' compared to others and I am always very self critical and see room for improvement.

I believe it to be an inspector's job as they are the ones who are in and out of settings all the time and should be best placed to recognise good/bad/indifferent!

Luckily, however, the inspector last week agreed with my SEF.

I think it's inevitable that we find it hard to call ourselves 'outstanding'. (Also you will always have the worry that they might think you are over rating yourself and react by grading you down.)

What I did was choose one or two areas where I know we are particularly strong, and put 'outstanding' for those, and good for the rest. Hopefully they will disagree in a positive way - well done all these outstanding settings!

We just got outstanding, I had graded good for everything and outstanding for safeguarding but was confident for the outsatnding there. She said I had judged too harshly. Ofsted online has guidance how to complete.

What a good question!

I remember, but don't know where to find it exactly on their website (does anyone else find it difficult to navigate?) but OFSTED had a guidance document highlighting what 'satisfactory' 'good' 'outstanding' looked like

Think it may have been a training document for inspectors??

Edited by gingerbreadman

we had our inspection two weeks ago and I haven't put any gradings in and she didn't say anything about that

she did say I didn't sell myself in the SEF that we did lots of good things and I shouldn't be afraid to brag about it

I was told ages ago and I don't know who by that if you grade yourself lower than you think Ofsted doesn't have to look to see if you are better but if you grade yourself as higher Ofsted has to justify why they don't think you are that high

dont be afraid to brag SEF is your chance to tell ofsted about all the good stuff you do that you might forget to tell them on the day

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)