Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Benefits Of Outdoor Play

Hi

I am looking to do a display on outdoors play and the benefits it has for children as got parents who are resistant to outdoor play in all weather.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for what to include? Or can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site/research please?

Fresh air, vitamins from sunshine

Sensory experiences

Delighting in the world around them

Great place for mucky play

Planting, digging, learning about nature

We also have resistance, we just make it clear from the start that we are an 'all weathers' setting and send out regular notices to that effect. They don't have to come to our preschool if they don't want to.

I got this from somewhere once (can't remember where) ....

Childhood is supposed to be messy and natural outdoor play areas offer a kind of messiness that inspires learning and creativity.

Children make mud pies out of mud; they pile up leaves and carry them around; sand and dirt are good for digging in.

The dirtier your child gets at nursery, the better reader they will become. The experiences a young child has playing, set up the foundation for future learning. The skills they learn in outdoors play, such as having the confidence to try things they've never done before, will later translate to the school setting.

For example, the world of reading — sounding out letters and words they've never seen — could seem daunting unless children have had positive experiences stretching themselves, gaining confidence, and growing through play.

A natural outdoors play area makes it easy for children to find challenging ways to dig, jump, stamp, and splash — and yes, get messy in the process — all on their way to becoming better readers.

Hope that helps.....

Maybe get some quotes from parents about what their chidl gets out of it. I'm sure you will have one family who is very interested and will do you some nice sound bites. You could have some info on cheap but good quality outdoor clothing. And there are often bundles of "play clothing" on ebay, advertised as being fit for messy and outdoor play (cos they are second hand and not in great condition, but if you are going to roll around in the mud, perfect).

Hi

I am looking to do a display on outdoors play and the benefits it has for children as got parents who are resistant to outdoor play in all weather.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for what to include? Or can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site/research please?

Do a parent presentation, get them dress up for outside and get them out there and doing it, remind them of what they did when they were younger (mud pies, making camps etc)

Macmillan M had a quote about the outdoor playground, its gone at mo but will think about it

Sue

I used some stuff off here! I think if you do a forum search you should get some good links, I don't think I saved them but it was along the lines of giving the children the sky - no constraints etc. This is the community play things link...

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/resou...tdoor-play.html

think this was it...

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/childrens-service...hem-the-sky.htm

Also on the EYFS disc there's some useful quotes,

also something about safety and the fact children at home rarely get the same freedom as was available 20 years ago so Early years settings offer a safe place for these skills to be developed

Hope the links work x