Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation Research

I am just about to embark on my dissertaion for my early years degree. :o I've chosen the topic of whether children's television programmes help/hinder language development of pre school children.

Anyones and everyones views, both good and bad would be welcomed on this and if anyone has any ideas for where I could look for any articles on the subject then they will be gratefully received. I've already scanned the cbbc and citv and ragdoll websites for general info.

I know many people have their own views on this issue, both from a practitioner and parent point of view and those would be helpful to.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

mobbsters

Hi mobbsters

I do think that many of the programs children watch hinder their language development. I often take time to watch what is offered for children of pre-school age and a lot of them have charcters who speak with strange voices. I am thinking of the Tweenies, Teletubbies, Boobah (which I personally think is one of the most appauling programs I have ever seen). The speech is not clear at times and is often too fast. Many of them are very visually stimulating but are poor for language skills.

But many young children don't only watch these programs-they also watch the ones intended for older viewers which are way over their heads.

Television for me should be a way of being entertained and I don't always want to be educated when watching. But I like to be able to understand what is being said. And this should apply to children's tv too.

Linda

I should have said that it is not all bad!! I just can't understand why the charcaters can't speak with normal voices!!

Linda

Interesting one this, especially as there is new research reviewed today in The Sunday Times that would suggest that we are underestimating the power of computer games etc for mental development.

I also read an article yesterday about the demise of "Ballamory" and how that had shot to success because of its differences between programmes like Teletubbies and Tweenies. (Saturday Independent)

I also understood that the Telletubbies was devised to help children with speech and language problems as it incorporated all the sounds that children need for talking?

Pingu, mind you leaves me wondering?

As a parent I had a brilliant Nursery Rhyme video for my boys, which entralled them from about 18months onwards. I could not have kept their attention for so long with a book and nor would they have had such a brilliant repetoire of nursery rhymes at a young age.

So, overall Im in the infavour camp but i would have to agree that there will always be the exception that proves the rule!

Good luck with the dissertation.