Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Found A Young Girl Tonight

Rea

Oh Rea, your experience and that of this young girl just fills me with despair. :o

I cannot comprehend the lack of action from the police, especially as this girl had been physically abused the day before. Why was the mother so concerned to know what the child had said to you?

How astute of you to notice her uniform to find out what school she goes to, well done to you and your son for showing this girl that there are compassionate kind people in this world, who will listen, believe and follow up her concerns and fears.

I wonder if she was going to catch a bus to her fathers house. Maybe the police have visited the home and due to confidentiality issues haven't now felt the need to contact you, unacceptable though I think this is, it may be the case.

I think it would be a good idea for you and your son to write down your account of the event, as factually as possible, including all that was said and done. It may prove useful should a case conference or prosecution come forth in the future. The sooner this is written the more credible it will be as evidence.

Does your son still have the fathers number in his phone? Maybe you could contact him and he could reassure you that matters have not been ignored and the needs of the child are being investigated further, and just to let you know that the child slept somewhere safely that night.

Many years ago I referred a child to S.S. at my preschool who came in with a whopping big lump and bruise to his forehead, he said his father had thrown him against the wall. ( the father had a reputation for violence). The result was that police spoke to father telling him I had reported my concerns.

His immediate reaction was to come straight to preschool and threaten me. More referrals followed yet it took a whole year before a case conference was called, I was invited to attend, by letter, addressed 'to the supervisor', they didn't even know my name. On attending I discovered that I was the only 'professional' in the meeting who knew both mother and father.

This was 20+ years ago and I really hoped that with all the government research and knowledge on safeguarding, and media interest that things would have improved, sadly your experience tells otherwise.

The children I have now were on the 'at risk' register when the eldest was 'in the womb', it was 3 more children later all suffering 10 yrs + of substance abuse and domestic violence before care proceedings were implemented. I know it's not all black and white but if the response rate is so poor and attitudes remain so lassai fair ( spl?) like in your experience, there is still a long way to go before children can be deemed as truly safeguarded.

I think the lesson I have learnt from this is that it is not just enough to refer, but to follow your example Rea and push, question, enquire, inform all other agencies such as schools of concerns, and never give up on these children.

I hope you get some answers to your questions about what happened to this girl, to ease your worrying mind.

You may not think it was very much to do but believe me, from the experience of the children I look after now, it is 'the community, the everyday person in these children's lives that can make the difference, that can ensure the authorities do what needs to be done, sooner rather than later.

You were a glimmer of light and hope for this young girl on such a dark night in her life.

Peggy