Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scoring Games For Outside Provision- Help Wanted

I am looking for some ideas for outside activities or games the children in the Reception class I am doing my placement in can play independently that have a scoring element for encouraging one more/less and addition/subtraction. I have got as far as some hoops with numbers in and some bean bags to throw and numbered skittles. Any other ideas that have worked for you most welcome! Thanks.

Andy

we have a set of very large plastic numbers ( got them off amazon I think ) which are placed around the garden alongside some laundry baskets or boxes - the children have to collect the correct amount of items for each box , the items can be anything - or we add a CLL element and ask for items starting with a certain letter. It can get quite competitive but it's fun. :o

Skittles...3 pins (or as many as you think they can cope with) and count the number of pins they knock over and record scores. If you don't have skittles you could make some with empty drinks bottles and sand or water etc.....you could then test them to ensure a ball will knock them over thus turning a counting activity into a science/creative activity too :o

Guest jstree3

We has a number line with no's pegged up on the line 1 - 10 and they played splat the number (in little book with big ideas maths games and songs) they had to throw a bean bag at one of the nos say it and put a mark on the whiteboard each time they scored a no. You could extend and add the nos they score together. Some really good ideas in this book :)

It's more about number recognition but I made this for last week. We hung the laminated cards around the outdoor area in interesting places but in not sequencial order and provided strips of the numbered frogs, clipboards and dishes of crayons. Some children got very competitive!!! I've made many forms of this game to suit topics and it always goes down well. This week its ducks and goes upto 10. The sheet of frogs strips is to photocopy and and cut into strips. If you don't cut the blank ends they go under the clip on the clip board without hiding the frogs. Lots of "have you found 5?" " I've got 2 more to find" etc so all good numeracy.

Edited by Guest

Goal scoring with tally beads - who has a higher score, how many more do you need to get 5 points and win? etc - Oh and have you seen the gymkhana clip in the profile exemplification materials? Very impressive, in lots of ways!

Just before half term we had hockey in our outdoor area!! They had seen the Juniors playing and some of the boys started using long tubes as hockey sticks, so we got some real ones out. It ended up being 'ice hockey' tapping putts along. The children built a pitch using the big blocks, we had teams, scoring on white boards, selling tickets, all sorts.. It was fab and lasted all week!

• 2 weeks later...

We use empty water bottles (1 litre size), half filled with sand and numbered 1 - 10. Children have to line them up in order on a plank of wood balanced on two crates. They take turns to throw 2 beanbags and knock them off. Some children will talk about which numbers they knocked off, others will be able to add the numbers together to find their total score. We have a table nearby with paper, pencils and clipboards for recording. It's very popular, especially with the boys!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)