Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Does A Good Eyfs Class Look Like?

Hi everyone,

I am soon to be returning to reception after a long time out being with my family. I always had mixed rec/year 1 classes and it was very much 'adult directed' and a lot of my time would be spent with year 1's guided work as I never had a full time TA.

My question is kind of a BIG one. What does a week in reception class look like now? I understand the need for a balance between CIP and AIP/ADP and the need to gather evidence that is 80% CI. Can anyone tell me how they organise their daily routine. There seems so much to fit in! How many guided reading/writing sessions should there be? How do you organise phonics with a whole class. Do you find it easier to have a day of CLL activities and work through the whole class. Ohhhh my mind is going crazy with different timetables!!!

If anyone could post a basic weekly timetable I would really really appreciate it :o

Guest LornaW

I don't have a weekly timetable debs7 as I am no longer in school but in Kent where I come from they have Leading Early Years Team members across the county and these teachers welcome visitors. You may have the same in your LA so it may be worth asking and go and visit for a day which would also let you see it in practice.

Lorna

Guest hfitz12

This is what my timetable looks like. I was new to EYFS in September as the only FS class in a school in special measures and after much tweaking and changing have moved the judgements from borderline satisfactory last year to good with outstanding features during our inspection last week! It still isn't perfect but is moving in the right direction. Hope this helps.

timetable_Spring_1_2011proposed.doc

timetable_Spring_1_2011proposed.doc

Hi hfitz12 - I've just looked at your timetable and a couple of questions... where you have your adult led activities, how many children are doing the activity in that session? Are the rest of the children choosing? It just looks a lot more structured than my day. I for instance only have CLL or PSRN in one morning, I'd never get through both. Also I'm assuming from the amount of RE you are doing that you are a church school? I try to only do a maximum of 3 carpet sessions in a day. Thanks

So pleased you got good with outstanding features.

Got to admit this looks more like my preEYFS timetable - which I was happy with, but am trying to have less structure in preparation for next ofsted. I too only manange to fit in a clld or prsn focused task each morning now. Does my head in - so many different ways. Perhaps this is it - lots of right ways, not one size fits all. Our SIP said we should have confidence in what we provide and we will be fine - hit the nail on the head - any confidence I had has been eroded away after all these decades in ever changing Foundation education (still my favourite key stage though, and my children are happy and make progress - satisfactory, good or very good - depending upon which figures are analysed)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)