Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Fiction As A Stimulus

Hi there,

Following on from planning from stories - Has anyone got some good ideas for using non-fiction books as a stimulus ? we find the 'reccounts' suggested for Reception hard to come by and rely on making our own. We have a few other standby's but theyare often too simplified and lack the features that we want the children to recognise in non fiction books?

Would love to hear of ideas and books that have worked for other members?

Very tired , can only think of bean diary at the moment.

We also make our own books, I have bought some A5 wallet books and we use photographs and simple text to make our own books about activities / outings. ie How to make butter.

And that could be evidence for profiles too if you use photos of the children in action?

I bought the Rigby National Geographic guided reading books for my school, as our child friendly non fiction was quite depleted.

I have to admit to not concentrating particulary on non fiction texts, although we did "read" for information within the topic and in the summer term looked quite closely of the features of the big Book "Day and Night", which we linked to telling the time.

The Little Nipper books published by Heinemann are good for non fiction books. They come in big book form too. They usually are made up of photographs with simple text. We have bought some recently about people who help us, the doctor and dentist etc.

Linda

Many thanks for those suggestions folks - we too have The Bean Diary and I think some of the Little Nippers in our free chooser books - would love to hear any more ideas out there particularly Big Books.

Well, it's Sunday and my brain is switched off but I hope this may help-

This term I have been doing favourite tales and nursery rhymes - so alongside each story i have had a non fiction avenue.

Eg: Three bears and Goldilocks- we had a non fiction book on real bears- comparing the characters in the story to real bears. What are the similarities/differences....real bears growl and don't really talk???- I used an A4 page with a table on and the chn wrote the differences- they loved it.

Three little pigs I used a book on materials and in the shape of a house we made a little book in which the chn had to design a house for the three pigs using suitable materials.

Red Riding hood I used a recipie book - we made cookies for grandma and we designed our own packaging label. Then we made signs around the classroom to invite parents into the classroom to buy them.

Last term I did growing as a topic and I used the Hungry Caterpillar story book along side Butterfly and caterpillar (spywatch series I think) and we made a life cycle pin wheel. I hope these are of use and I haven't completely gone off on a tangent.......! Blame the Bank Holiday!

Dougal x :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)