Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Or Not?

Susan

How are year 1 classrooms being organised?

Its a few months since we debated this, another school year is well underway, what is working for you and why? What have you adapted and developed?

Im still battling this one, my current cohort did not come from Reception being able to access anything independently to move their learning on and needed to be working with me to make any movement with their learning--they had knowledge but no skills. It has been tough putting skills into place, they have enjoyed working as a whole class :o but I now need to stretch and support in a much greater way!

I am also essentially working on my own!

Hi Susan

I am not a practitioner anymore so cannot give you any advice from my own recent experience but just wanted to say how I know how difficult it is when children come from YR with know experience of independent learning.

I am sure you will have read Julie Fishers book on transition?

Are you already trying challenges with the class?

If not perhaps you could introduce some - nothing too challenging!! - so they can complete it independently and this will give you time to work with focussed groups. I know Julie fisher recommends CI all through Y1 but I think you need to cut your cloth to meet your needs!

Working with focussed groups though will give you the chance to really meet the needs of individual and small groups of children be it SEN or G&T.

What about your LA do they have advisers who can come in an work with you like ABCDoes? Having someone else to look at it with you can often make it seem so much easier.

Good Luck.

Lorna

In my experience it takes about 2 - 3 weeks for the children to get used to the challenges with lots of having to stop and remind them in that time that they need to be independent / work with a pertner. Also fit in review time for the challenges and choose a couple of children each time to feedback on the challenge and then really big it up as you do with goal scorers in BW.

Shame you don't have any TA support as that is so valuable could you find a student or helpful parent / dinner lady wishing to give it a go etc?

Have you got the Carrying on in KS1 books and Meeting the Challenge? Meeting the challenge has ideas across the curriculum ( some a bit boring ) but all adaptable!

Lorna

• 4 months later...

Have been looking at all the books recommended and wondering what to spend my money on! I am moving up to year 1 with my current reception class, and am really interested in developing the challenge idea. The Carrying on in Year 1 books look great but difficult to choose which 'area' to buy. Does the Julie Fisher book contain enough guidance and ideas for challenges?

So basically if you were only buying 1 or 2 what would people recommend or are they all just worth their money?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)