Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stepping Stones?

Do all of you in pre-schools use the stepping stones from the Nat'l Curriculum for your planning and assessments? Or do you use some other "checklists"?

This may seem like a strange question ..... but I have my reasons! :o

I would be very interested to hear your comments.

:D

Do you mean the stepping stones from the Foundation Stage curriculum Libby? I use them as a basis for our planning but don't use them for asessments. We have devised our own assessment sheets looking at the stepping stones. We didn't feel the actual stepping stones went far enough in that, for example, with PSED for self care it says about dressing and undressing. Our assessment sheets go further by saying whether they can put on their coat, fasten it themselves, put on and take off simple clothing, go to the toilet independently, wash their own hands, wipe their own nose. So ours are more detailed but still linked to the stepping stones.

Hope this is of help to you.

Linda

Yes, Linda, that's exactly what I mean! I've had something in my eye all day and it's affecting my brain!!!! :o

Many thanks!

:)

I use the stepping stones in both my planning and assessments. Here in Surrey we use a Child Profile which looks similar to what Andreamay uses in Cheshire. We have two pre printedf books Yellow and Blue Stepping Stones and the second book covers the green. As Linda says they need to be tweaked a little and should not be taken literally - so to Linda's example - my observations which get attached detail that they can put their hat and coat on but not their shoes and then I would only say that they partially acehieved this stepping stone. this I do by highlighting the relevant stepping stone by 2/3rds to say they are on their way to achieving this but not totally - they still need some help in this area. Does this make any sense -

I use the detail of the stepping stones in my planning - so e.g. if I were to be making a picture of a house for say my homes topic and the aspect was say "shape" I then highlight those stepping stones I would like the children to achieve. Of course another matter is whether they do or not - I can then transfer this directly to their profile books

Nikki

Thanks for your replies, ladies. Nikki, I am also in Surrey and used Surrey Child Profiles for several years. I have moved to another setting which comes under the London Borough of Sutton. They are using checklists for assessments with columns headed "Rarely", "Sometimes" and "Usually" (rather like what we all used prior to the Curriculum for the Foundation Stage days). Even the areas of learning aren't current. I had assumed everyone was using the Stepping Stones (or a system based on them).

I never thought I'd see the day when I actually missed the Surrey Child Profiles - but guess what .......... I do!!!

Oh well, I shall carry on doing it their way. Don't want to rock the boat!!

:o

Thanks again for your replies.

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)