Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

City Topic In Nursery

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Forum and am looking for a bit of help please.

Soon in Nursery we will be looking at Cities as part of a larger 'Our World' Topic. We are going to be looking at London for a week and I have a total mental block as to what to cover! Could anyone help and inspire me? I am fairly new to Nursery so am still finding my feet!

Thank you in advance! :o

Sorry, no ideas for activities (my brain's turned off for the night) but thought I'd share a nice idea for a display that I saw somewhere. As your background back the board with a colour that will do for the sky (blue/ grey/ black depending on the feel you want) and then cut different sized rectangles from newspaper to look like different sized buildings and make a city skyline out of them, then put the children's work on top of that. It might sound odd but looks really effective. From a distance the text looks like bricks :)

Hello Purplebumblebee, and welcome to the forum :o

I suppose I'd start by asking "Why have you decided to "do" this topic?" Are you in London? Are your children likely to visit London, ie is it going to be a "hands-on" topic, or learning about it as you might a faraway country?

Thank you for your replies. I love the display idea and will definately try that out!

The topic has been given to us from the powers that be. We discussed the topic with the little ones before planning a rough medium term plan. A few of the children said they wanted to learn about London as part of 'Our World'. Also the school is based very close to London and transport links go past/over the school on a very regualar basis so the children are very interested in London due to this. We are hoping to get lots of visitors in over the course of the topic adn are going to be learning about places around the world. When I sat down with the nursery childrne to gain an idea of where we could go with this topic they wanted to learn more about places in our world like the sea, the arctic, the jungle so we will be visiting different parts of the world starting with London (City life) as we are so close to London.

The children gave me lots to work with and I am very keen to go with what the children are interested in. We are going to start with London then travel round the world.

I was just are some inspiration from anyone who may have covered this already? Cheers in advance! :o

The obvious iconic sights of London are in no particluar order:

London Eye, Big Ben, St Paul's, Tower Bridge, Tower of London.

As our setting is right in the middle of London you could try getting the children to write to us and ask our children about living in the city?

If you are interested then send me a message and we can take it further.

Hi Purple Bumble Bee,

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

- get the children to make apartment blocks/ flats using rectangles and squares. Count how many windows/ floors, doors etc on their building

- could you possibly take children a few stops on a bus? (red double decker bus great London image!) Sing the 'wheels on the bus'. Make a bus out of cardboard boxes for role play area or each child could make their own out of cereal boxes/ shoeboxes.

- make a picture of the London Eye. Use triangle as base, circle for main body of structure and ovals/ squares for the individual compartments. Print out pictures of views from the Eye and use in discussion on positional language: over, under, in, out etc

- teach the children 'London Bridge is falling down'. Could make up actions for it as part of PE.

Good luck!

Saffa

Hey Purple Bumble Bee,

Have just thought you could also make crowns for the Royal Family. Great exercise for cutting and pattern work.

Cheers.

Saffa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)