Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I Going Mad?

Is it me or do some parents just really lack any common sense and are being extra fussy?

This term I have been asked if anyone checked the toilet before her son flushed it to check if his poo was really runny or had he been fibbing, I have had a mother ring the school to say her daughter had been really ill the day before and had a really high temperature and although her husband had been told to tell me she rang up the school to tell me anyway because "you know what men are like they never get anything right" and FINALLY today I get a letter from the same parent saying her daughter was ill today with a high temperature but other children had come into school with far worse things and could we sort out the health issues in the school so that they were not ill! (The same mother also rang up last year asking if the teachers collected children when it was snowy weather and also did we have thermometers in school so we could have her daughters temperature checked every two minutes) The letter has gone to the Head and I have emailed the Head with all the other issues relating to this woman. I've had two verbal tirades from parents (HT present for one thankfully) and just generally silly fussy questions. It seems to be the younger Mums who are the ones who I am having a problem with and not the more mature Mums. On top of that we seem to have rude /nonsensical staff visit us from outside agencies who just don't quite grasp the concept that we do actually teach and can't answer the phone during a lesson. ..

In the 10 years I have taught I have never had to deal with such silliness and am wondering if I am being targeted by a group of Mums (I do look young but am not so young anymore) or if others were experiencing such silliness and fussing from parents. Unfortunately it is having a negative impact on me - I am fed up and really wish I was working back in a really rough area where tbh it was so much easier than now! The rest of the lovely parents don't I feel get to see me much as it's the ones who constantly barrage me with fuss. I would love to be able to amble to the gate and chat to the other Mums about how well their child is getting on like I did last year. My HT is aware of the issues and is rather lovely but I do wonder if it is me going mad or if anyone else is finding this too.

Many apologies for the rant/ramble but I have had enough and I really am not enjoying work right now. Any advice or strategies for dealing with these Mums would be great.

I don't think it is just you! I do feel sorry for you though. :o

Have you been asked to blunten the pencils because they are a bit sharp?

Have you been asked what the sticker was for that you have a child a fortnight ago last Wednesday?

Have you been asked to break your lunch rules to heat up soup for a child with eating problems - who then arrives at 9am the next day eating a packet of Quavers?

Have you been asked at 3pm to remember exactly what times a child did a wee?

Have you been asked to make sure a child doesn't walk about because they've got a sore foot?

Have you been told (in front of the child) to ring mum if child decides they want to come home because parent has already told them I will phone!

I'm sure there are others!!!!

Parents, I think just forget that their little darling is 1 of 20, 30, or more!

Maybe some other stories will brighten your spirits.

Keep smiling!

I think what I would do is make definite appointments every day after school for a week with all the lovely parents :o You'll have a whole week of celebrating the children's achievements and feeling good about your practice and the troublesome ones won't get a look in because you'll have to say "I'm sorry, I have an appointment with x's parents today; I can offer you one next week!" It'll really give you a boost and strengthen your resolve to tackle those issues xD

I think what I would do is make definite appointments every day after school for a week with all the lovely parents :o You'll have a whole week of celebrating the children's achievements and feeling good about your practice and the troublesome ones won't get a look in because you'll have to say "I'm sorry, I have an appointment with x's parents today; I can offer you one next week!" It'll really give you a boost and strengthen your resolve to tackle those issues xD

Thank you Helen - I had to re-read what you had written as I misread at first! I really hadn't thought about that and it would make a nice change plus would be a good excuse not to see the other ones! I have a student in at the moment is fantastic and with whom I would totally feel happy leaving in charge of my class so yes I think a morning and afternoons of good news appointments would a nice change to do!

mps09 - thank you it was nice to read that it's not just me that get the silly (yet serious to the parents) questions! It made me chuckle for the first time in a little while!

Am sorting out the issue with the main parent tomorrow and am bringing in backup!

Thanks all - sometimes even working in a large school you can feel on your own and feel it's just you!

I guess it's true what they say in the customer services 'field'.

If you get good service you tell one person

If you get bad service you tell everyone!

Maybe it's the same - parent's who think you/we do good don't tend to tell you about it........ but if they have a gripe.... everyone should know about it!

Good luck!

Keep smiling :o