Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs?

Hi just wanted some opinions on the eyfs in an after school club! I am the manager of a 40 place asc we have about 10 eyfs.

At the moment i have each area covered i.e role play,small world etc.I am wondered if i need to do continuous provision for each area(ive made a start just in case). I also do leaarning journals on the children which include some written obs and mainly photos plus any work they want to put in.I am also following the topic of the reception class,themeing this throughout the setting. we do an adult led activity a week which i ahve a planning sheet for.Is there any more i should be doing to get a good ofsted inspection?????

Thanks

Catherine

Sounds all good to me.

Have you evidenced how you work in partnership with their class teachers and also with their parents?

Have you got all the necessary policies?

Do you do some kind of baseline assessment when children start - often the All About me sheet on the CDROM is good enough.

best of luck with the inspection

It all sounds a little too much work for me!!

We were Ofsted'd twice within a 9 month period because we got done as part of the private provision in the May (2008) and then as part of the school because regulations changed!!! (Feb 2009)

In neither case did we do all of the stuff you are saying that you do and we had all goods and outstandings.

I tell my staff that they need an awareness of the EYFS and they have a plan which shows that they know there are 6 areas of learning and what is available to the FS children to cover those areas............... but after school club attendees from the foundation stage for us anyway do not get nursery education funding for this service and so the requirements are different.

Also on our plan we put that the children are free to choose exactly what they do in after school club. It shouldn't be a continuation of nursery or school. Its different. More a care element.

Baselines on children coming in to afterschool club seems very OTT to me.

Discussion with teachers occasionally, yes due to behaviour or issues arising during the day and photos taken of something to go into learning journals in nursery or reception if they are particularly proud or have done something new etc, but my main concern is for the children is to be safe and happy and have access to suitable resources for them to choose what they do.

Some of our children have been into breakfast club, nursery or reception all day and then on to afterschool club and I think it should be where they chill out not continue with what they were doing in the class environment.

When the inspectors came in to us they looked at staffing ratios, resources and what the children were actually doing that day (cooking) and I think they asked about what snacks/ food we provided......

I wish you much success when the inspection comes!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

Guest jenpercy
It all sounds a little too much work for me!!

We were Ofsted'd twice within a 9 month period because we got done as part of the private provision in the May (2008) and then as part of the school because regulations changed!!! (Feb 2009)

In neither case did we do all of the stuff you are saying that you do and we had all goods and outstandings.

I tell my staff that they need an awareness of the EYFS and they have a plan which shows that they know there are 6 areas of learning and what is available to the FS children to cover those areas............... but after school club attendees from the foundation stage for us anyway do not get nursery education funding for this service and so the requirements are different.

Also on our plan we put that the children are free to choose exactly what they do in after school club. It shouldn't be a continuation of nursery or school. Its different. More a care element.

Baselines on children coming in to afterschool club seems very OTT to me.

Discussion with teachers occasionally, yes due to behaviour or issues arising during the day and photos taken of something to go into learning journals in nursery or reception if they are particularly proud or have done something new etc, but my main concern is for the children is to be safe and happy and have access to suitable resources for them to choose what they do.

Some of our children have been into breakfast club, nursery or reception all day and then on to afterschool club and I think it should be where they chill out not continue with what they were doing in the class environment.

When the inspectors came in to us they looked at staffing ratios, resources and what the children were actually doing that day (cooking) and I think they asked about what snacks/ food we provided......

I wish you much success when the inspection comes!!

I think if you are on school site, they are far more relaxed about your communication with teachers. However the OP sounds to be doing enough already. Are you expecting an OFSTED Catpool? If not it will all be changing for after school clubs soon I imagine

At our school club we have planning which is very simple - 6 areas of learning across the top, days down the side then one activity in each area. Children are allowed whatever they want out and we fit it into the planning as child initiated. Post it obs and photos taken for EYFS children then put into scrapbook. Keyperson for EYFS children meets the early years TA once every half term to share info. Staff all pre-school background and EYFS aware.

Dont do baseline assessment or all about me sheet just have very comprehensive registration doc.

Have attached a document you may find useful.

Delivery_of_the_EYFS_in_out_of_school_provision.pdf

EYFS_out_of_school_prov.pdf

Guest jenpercy
And this one too!

these things always receive a wry smile from me - they always show examples of schemes with outdoor gardens or access to woods. That would be dead easy - the challenges we face with no outside access are off the scale - stilll what do I care. We're closing!!

Thanks for the replies. We were last ofsteded 4 years ago in may so I'm sure were due. I think I'm just gonna carry on as I am doing and hope for the best. Any other advice or news anyone hears would be welcome. Thanks again. Catherine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)