Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Would You Do?

Hi there everybody, really could do with your thoughts on this one.

Currently we operate as a foundation unit, me rec teacher with one full time NN and 25 chn. and fullttime teacher in nurs and NN. For the past few weeks i have been thinking about the whole set up FU. iTS GETTING more and more difficult managing 50 odd 3-5 year olds. Just on Thursday Nursery AM went out and it was lovely, the play and learning that took place in my classroom was truly amazing. Mnageed to get obs, focus activities done etc, without trying to stop a nursery child spoiling an activity, or controlling a paddy because they havent had their own way. I'm sounding negative here with F1 but i'm just finding it tricky to get and planned work done without trying to sort out a dispute of some kind. How are you guys doing it out there. NY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. XXXXX

Hi popcorn, sorry to hear things arent going so well with your unit. I had the privilege of woring twice in a unit, one fantastically successfull, one a bit of a disaster. What I found that made the biggest impact for us was the staffing (whether or not everyone 'bought in' to the appraoch; how well we wokred as a team) and the actual physical space. The former you can work on, the latter if often not possible. With the best will in the world, the wrong space just wont work, and that was our problem in our 'disaster'.

I wonder if you could give us a brief description of your space, and how you use it, there are a few members here with unit experince who maight be able to suggest some new ways of working.

Hi.

I don't work in a FSU or have any personal experience of one but know folks in one and I think their day is organised for them to have only the older reception children in during the afternoons.

If you have 50 or so children does that mean a class of nursery and a class of reception?

Could nursery children all do one session either mornings or afternoons?

I think you need to get time freed up by your Head to go out and see how other providers manage their days

I think from what I have heard the FSU's to tend to be great or not, without an inbetween and those that are great probably have everything finely tuned!!

Good luck!

I'm really interested to hear about this. I work in a village school with a playgroup down the road and we are considering moving the playgroup into our Reception class so we have a FSU. I love the idea of this but not sure how it would work in practise. I am wondering about having the younger children in some sessions only? (The playgroup currently runs 4 mornings a week so I think we could get away with this).