Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

State Schools

Hi

People say all the time that once you teach in a private school it is difficult to get a job in the state schools. I need some advice on how I try and persuade the school I am applying for to even look at my application. I am currently a Reception teacher and have been for six years and I am applying for a Reception teacher job so I do exactly the same job as they would do in a state school. Please give me advice!

Hi, if I was a head teacher I would have 3 questions I would want you to deal with in your letter of application:

1. Why did you choose to go into the private sector in the first place, and what's made you want to move now?

2. What size is your current reception class, how would you handle a much larger class size?

3. Have you recent experience of a state reception class, and the kind of behaviour issues many teachers now face?

Hope that helps. I don't have the answers, I think that's a very personal thing. If you could show that you had gone into state reception classes and done observations etc. I think that might help. It might be 'exactly the same job' in theory, but not necessarily in reality I'm afraid!

Hi, if I was a head teacher I would have 3 questions I would want you to deal with in your letter of application:

1. Why did you choose to go into the private sector in the first place, and what's made you want to move now?

2. What size is your current reception class, how would you handle a much larger class size?

3. Have you recent experience of a state reception class, and the kind of behaviour issues many teachers now face?

Hope that helps. I don't have the answers, I think that's a very personal thing. If you could show that you had gone into state reception classes and done observations etc. I think that might help. It might be 'exactly the same job' in theory, but not necessarily in reality I'm afraid!

Many thanks for your reply. Some good points to think about. In terms of observing another reception class- no I haven't, however I am EYFS team leader, therefore I am in charge of my own Reception class and Nursery and I have the EYPS so I do have up todate training and I do visit a lot of nurseries etc. I know you said the answers are personal, it is just that I am desperately wanting to move into the state sector and not sure how much detail I should go into without sounding too desperate.

Hi wilkinson252 I was headteacher for over 10 years and read lots of letters of application and the key thing for me was does this person have the knowledge and expertise need to work in our school? So ensure in your letter of application you have put in your philosophy, how you deal with SEN, behaviour policy, partnership with parents, working as a team member and also what you have done as a leader. Children are children all over the world no matter what type of school you are in and I have seen children in action in both private and state and there are challenges in both.

If you would like me to look at your letter of application I would be happy to do so if it would help just send me a PM.

Good luck

Lorna

Hi wilkinson252 I was headteacher for over 10 years and read lots of letters of application and the key thing for me was does this person have the knowledge and expertise need to work in our school? So ensure in your letter of application you have put in your philosophy, how you deal with SEN, behaviour policy, partnership with parents, working as a team member and also what you have done as a leader. Children are children all over the world no matter what type of school you are in and I have seen children in action in both private and state and there are challenges in both.

If you would like me to look at your letter of application I would be happy to do so if it would help just send me a PM.

Good luck

Lorna

Hi Lorna

What a great reply you sent me, very reassuring. That is very kind of you to read my letter of application. Please could you instruct me on how to send it to you so it sends to you privately. Again, it is very kind of you and I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Hi Lorna

What a great reply you sent me, very reassuring. That is very kind of you to read my letter of application. Please could you instruct me on how to send it to you so it sends to you privately. Again, it is very kind of you and I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Hi Lorna,

I think I have sent it to you, please let me know if I sent it wrongly.

Many thanks for you help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)