Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playgroup Merger With School

Have any playgroups out there merged with their school? Our playgroup is run from our own porta-kabin on school premises but we have been seriously considering merging with the school. Will this mean it is compulsary to have wages and pay structure put through the school salaries? Any thoughts on pros/cons to this merger would be much appreciated.

Can I ask how it would be possible to merge with the school? We are in a site in school grounds but everything that we have been told is that we are a completely seperate organisation and it has to stay that way.

Can I ask how it would be possible to merge with the school? We are in a site in school grounds but everything that we have been told is that we are a completely seperate organisation and it has to stay that way.

Hi, we have been approached by the school. It is entirely up to the individual school whether they want to join together.

From what I knew in my previous role as Pre School manager was that you would become under the authority of the governing body of the school - they would be the best people to discuss this with further.

we have in a partnership foundation stage unit. We are still a committee run preschool but are working with the school, so have an FSU managment committee to decide on budgets etc.

HTH

Clare

The above option is probably the best both for your pre-school and the school, if you become employees of the school then you have to be paid on your local authority payscales, plus your staff would be signed up to superannuable pension scheme etc , the costs for salaries alone would be a lot more than at present. Also you would have to stay solvent at all times - could impact on fees etc. as if you get into debt the school would have to use thier budget to bail you out.

As a full daycare nursery attached to a school but operating as a PVI nursery we looked into the joining option but both us and the school decided it wasn't a a vaible proposition . :o

We did this in april last year. we were running from a demountable in the school grounds and the school wanted to strengthen the link. we did extensive research and was told by our local council that the only way we could do it was to set up a charity whihc we did and appointed trustees some of which are on the governing body of the school and the headtacher being another one.

You cannot as far as I was told cannot become a school nursery.

It has worked really well for us we have daily interaction with the foundation classes and use school resources and equipment, we have also adopted the school colours for staff uniform and childrens tshirts ( whicdh the parents love). As manager I run it all with the support of the headteacher and trustees as back up!.

Hope this helps

forgot to say that we are paid through the school system and salaries aare transferred from preschool to school account.

Edited by Emmawill