Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour

Please someone help, Ive been teaching for ten years and love my job with a Reception class but is it just me or are kids coming in with less and less respect. I have a boy that says no to me consistently every time i ask him to do something. I have been very firm with him and send him to time out every time he is refusing me, but it is driving me insane. I am thinking about doing a behaviour reward for him but part of me thinks no, he needs to learn first to do as he is told. Rant over!!

Please someone help, Ive been teaching for ten years and love my job with a Reception class but is it just me or are kids coming in with less and less respect. I have a boy that says no to me consistently every time i ask him to do something. I have been very firm with him and send him to time out every time he is refusing me, but it is driving me insane. I am thinking about doing a behaviour reward for him but part of me thinks no, he needs to learn first to do as he is told. Rant over!!

Don't want to advise BUT I know where you are coming from I have a 4year old doing the same to us (we are a pre-school) I am working with parents the best I can but like you say its driving me insane too. Today however my face hurts as I was determined to not let him get to me, my face hurt as I have smiled and secrety laughed to get myself through the 4 hour session.

His last comment was I hate you, and i am going to fold my arms for ever and never come back here again! All i was asking him to do was get his coat as mummy was coming to pick him up, mummy supported me but on a serious note my staff and I are getting concerned as I think he will soon begin to take this temper out on others. I know we monitor these things but everyday I am writing an account of the day just to cover ourselves.

I too am firm with him, hes a big lad and yesterday almost pulled me over when he grabbed my arm. I am not sure of reward charts so haven't used that route yet.

Thank you for your rant, I now do not feel alone I ranted at hubbie on phone when I got in, bet he can't wait to come home now :o

Big Sue

PS after all these years in this job we know these type of children come along, however I do feel many are coming with very little respect for adults and their own parents.

So frustrating for you both but as I am not emotionally involved I also feel so sad for those children as what a terrible life they have to live!!!

Do you think it could be something like oppositional defiant disorder???? there is a label for everything these days!

http://www.kidsbehaviour.co.uk/Oppositiona...isorderODD.html

Keep smiling Sue! :o:(xD

Lorna

Guest MaryEMac

This week we have despaired at playgroup. We had put our home corner into the outside playhouse and one child kept kicking and stamping on the door of the washing machine until it smashed. He owned up to it but there was no remorse. Even when we had circle time all the children expected that we would get a new one to replace it and wee surprised when we said that there was no money for new ones. For the first time in 25 years, I had to speak to a parent and ask for a donation to cover the cost of the repair. Funnil;y enough this child has said that he wants to be a policeman when he grows up !!!!

Mary

Hello,

I have recently attended a course for positive behaviour in children. This was presented from two members of the behaviour support team in Herefordshire.

This was really informative and made me come away feeling really inspired!

The course is based around Maslow's hierarchy of need - {physiological needs, safety, love and belonging, esteem and self-actualisation}

children forming a strong base to build these stepping stones. Do they feel/have:

*Loved

*Health

*Happiness

*Time

etc

They suggest you aim to look beyond the behaviour and observe for reasons of why they may be challenging/difficult. I know very frustrating!!! But think about attention seeking/ new baby in the house/ arguments at home etc

Tecniques and strategies used:

Rephrasing a question to make it positive

Be positive. Not Negative

Assertive.

I'm sure you get the drift. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)