Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Qualifications Do I Need To Be A Nursery Teacher

hi, i need some advice. Im from ireland but living in london almost three years now. :o I have a level 2, cache level 3 and a BA Early Childhood honours degree (2:1, all my work paid off) anyhow, like i said, here 3 years and have experience in private day care nursery. I am thinking of going into the teaching such as reception teacher. my problem is i dont have the necessary BIOLOGY in my leaving cert exams(equilvant to gcse/alevels). why i need biology is doubt me. i am confuse about the nursery teacher jobs?do i need a teaching degree like the PGCE?What is QTS?Why wont the EYPS be enough to qualify to be a nursery teacher?i was looking into doing the eyps but at the minute it doesnt seem to be worth it. I am planning to go travelling to Aussie this year so i am just looking into my options when i return. i dont wana do day care if i can avoid it. Too much stress. hope i didnt babble on to much and that some1 can give me some advice...

QTS is short for qualified teacher status and you almost always need it to work in local schools as a teacher - although some do employ people and pay them on the unqualified scale. For private schools I don't know if they are more flexible with regard to having actual QTS as opposed to your already extensive qualifications. I am guessing you will need to do a PGCE or maybe get involved in the gradute teacher programme in order to gain QTS. Hope this helps a little - am quite rusty on all the information since having my baby!

Yes you will need to do a route which gives you QTS unless you go into a private school possibly. That would be a one year full time course or some places offer it part time. Your other option is the Graduate Teaching Programme but it is competitive to get a place. For primary you do need a science at GCSE equivalent level at C or above I believe. You could study one of these at college part time and get it done fairly quickly. I did wonder when I did my EYPS if nursery teachers would eventually be able to use their EYPS status in place of QTS but it doesn't look very likely that will ever happen. If teaching in school is where your heart lies then I suggest you leave the EYPS alone and do a QTS route.

Speak to the TDA (www.tda.gov.uk) they will tell you exactly what you need, but QTS however you achieve it is a must. This could be PGCE, SCITT, GTP, maybe even Teachfirst (not sure if that applies at nursery) - there are loads of different routes these days. The TDA should be able to guide you through the maze. Not sure why you need biology, although it might be 'a science' and I know you need maths and english at GCSE pass level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)