Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rhyme And Alliteration

Hi

Is anyone else struggling to get evidences for this profile point? Rhyme isn't the problem but for some of my children alliteration is a real struggle. They are good at initial sounds and can group items according to initial sound. We often play games where i make up silly alliterative sentences that include their names which they really enjoy but they never attmpt any themselves and have never said - 'they're the same as my name.' Maybe i'm expecting to much for this point, what evidence have you used to award this point?

Thanks in advance.

I think that is really difficult for little children and often dont core it until later in the year. I have played "I went shopping" and I bought, beautiful bananas, crunchy carrots, silly sausages etc and eventually the children are usually able to join in and play it alone!

Hi - the awful alliteration point!

I raised this at an LA moderation meeting to be told that if children got most of the other scale points then you could just assume they had 'got' alliteration!? No, me neither!

We have always struggled with this too - exactly as you have described - it is really hard for some children. BUT, we have had a more successful time so far this year - mainly because we now a have a set of soft toy animals always present in our room - who are in turn, misbehaved / ultra good / kind! -

We have Ruby Rabbit who hated the 'noisy' classroom at the start of the year so would not come out of her hiding place until SHE felt it was quieter - Deb Dog, who helps out during phonics - Eddie Elephant, who uses his big ears to check children are being kind to each other, and so on with as many animals as we can find and use in different ways -

Mickey Monkey always needs a story reading to him - Freddy Fox likes to play outdoors.

Children are given the chance to be in charge of an animal, making sure their name label (written with initial letters in different colours so they stand out), doesn't fall off / get lost - if so, the child makes a new one. It is just another way of reinforcing and embedding what should be a fun language activity but has been turned into a target to get before you can move to scale point 4!

Happy helping!

Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)