Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E215 - Tma 04-exploring Identity

Hi everyone,

just hoping somone may be able to give me some advise as I am struggling with this TMA. My tutorial was cancelled last Saturday so I have had no real guidance from the tutor and seem to be going around in circles :o

I have carried out research

1 - child took photos

2 - child conference mainly discussing the photos

The child is a boy and he took photos of balls, cars, trains and then went through the fireman sam book taking photos of the different characters,

I am finding it difficult to find a direction / link to the course/theory

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carol xx

me too. Am sat trying to write tma came on here to see if any past notes help.

I think I am going to talk about free play, behaviour management and maybe transitions but how that links to obs made really dont know.

so hard

Sorry I cannot be of much help.

buttercup

Sorry this is a bit of a quick response.

I think the golden thing to remember with this TMA is that you are looking at your practice through the eyes of the child (and from my experience i know it is easy to lose sight of this)

If you are going to talk about free play and behaviour management then you need to analyse your research data and find what the child 'told' you about the strategies your employ in relation to these areas. He may not have literally said anything but think back to the three layer model and maybe that will help with looking at the research data you have to work with?

ONce you have the strategies you are going to discuss and what you are using from your research you should be able to link in with various aspects from the course material.

A quick example of the top of my head is 'transitions' which is one area I discussed. I linked to Kagans horizontal transtions and how this included changes from activity to activity during the preschool session and my focus child struggled in certain areas. eg she found snack time tricky and made comparisons to eating at home and preschool - i linked this to Bronfenbrenners ecological model.

What do the photos of balls, cars trains tell you in relation to the child's identity and how he seems himself. My child (a girl) played with a range of toys, those 'typically girl' but also 'typically boy' toys so i linked it to my strategy of trying to ensure non-stereotypical provision.

Really a case of digging deep and thinking outside the box but it does all come together

hope this helps

Hi Geraldine,

I was thinking that I could talk about the fact he has focussed on toys that are typically boy toys despite the fact that I encourage non - stereotypical toys, maybe discuss how I can encourage both sexes to play with toys and link to the three layer model? Do you think I am heading in the right direction?

Thank you for your help and suggestions, I'm thinking a large glass of wine may help :o

also good luck Buttercup, going to be a busy weekend I think!!

Carol xx

Hi Geraldine,

I was thinking that I could talk about the fact he has focussed on toys that are typically boy toys despite the fact that I encourage non - stereotypical toys, maybe discuss how I can encourage both sexes to play with toys and link to the three layer model? Do you think I am heading in the right direction?

Thank you for your help and suggestions, I'm thinking a large glass of wine may help :o

also good luck Buttercup, going to be a busy weekend I think!!

Carol xx

I think you are absolutely on the right lines. Get in some mention of his identity and remember it's all about personal/professional development so your research analysis has resulted in you evaluating provision, the strategies you employ in relation to layout/access of resources and what you can do to result in a more non stereotypical environment (not being critical of you but you know what i mean!!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)