Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playing In The Rain

I'm looking for ideas. At my setting if it's raining we will get wet if we go out. We've got a very small canopy but otherwise it's just out. While I love taking children out to stomp in puddles there is only so much we can do in the rain. Any ideas please.

Alwyn

we have a rain box in it is plastic sheeting to make dens to hide in and listne to the rain. Foil trays and tubes to collect the rain and listen to the sounds the rain drops make. A laminated song sheet for singing in the rain and umbrellas. Power paint to sprinkle in the puddles (then you can put a piece of paper on top to get a print) though after a while the children in my reception class just end up making potions!

the children also like getting the guttering and drain pipes out

hope that helps

Emma

We used to make rain drop pictures.

Place paper ( we used absorbent sugar paper) on a flat surface outside.

Put a spoon full of powder paint onto paper, choose a few different colours.

Watch the raindrops as they wet the paint, before the paper gets too wet (or it will tear) bring painting indoors to dry.

These make beautiful pictures as the paint spreads and mixes.

Lots of descriptive language opportunities, observation of colour mixing, properties of wet & dry etc.

'Puddle Jumping' a book by Peter Dixon described an activity where various objects are available for children to use to discover which ones work well in picking up, soaking up, collecting water from puddles. The children can put their puddle in a labelled jar and take it home, they could freeze their puddle and keep, to visit months later and defrost.

Have fun.

Peggy

Science thing....plastic tubs, measuring jugs to see how much rain collected and then do simple chart to record data which becomes a maths thing

absorbency....different materials/items on a tray and then after a period of time and see how much water they have adsorbed....you could weigh them dry and then weight them wet

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)