Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Ideas?

OK Chaps

I need advice on what to do next inmy career!!!!!

I've been teaching for thirteen years and at present am in a special school. I have been here for ten years and feel it is time to move on.

BUT... at the moment I can only work part time as my daughter doesn't start school full time until Easter.

I want to really, and this is my dream, run my own nursery. But I have no money to set one up or prmises.

Next best thing would be a reception class...but do I go full/part time?

Do I take a pay cut??? (as I'm expensive to employ now)

Any advice from those who have been there and done it, gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi Kate

Welcome to the site.

I took over a committe run pre-school about 5/6 years ago and then had the opportunity to move to our own building on the site of local primary school. Bought a second hand mobile classroom building - luckily had investments we could cash so I could do it. But I could have gone down leasing/hire purchase route. Despite the paperwork etc I do enjoy having my own business and being able to realise my dream.

Don't know what it's like in your area but here it's very difficult to find sites/properties to set up own nurseries etc. That's why I thought of school sites - the local school I'm in had building work going on so a parent suggested I could take over the mobile classrooms. They weren't suitable for our needs but opened the doorway.

There is a Government initiative (I believe) to localise provision and as some schools have a lot of unused ground this could be an avenue to look at. There are a lot of companies who deal in nursery/pre-school buildings but they can be expensive. I found mine in Exchange and Mart - local company offering both new and used buildings.

We used to run from the nearby church hall and although our actual programme hasn't changed our waiting list certainly has! It's a good catchment for parents with children already attending the school and we have good links with the Reception Teachers. We are also situated in an area where the Reception children have to pass us to go to the playground so we are able to wave and say hello to all the children who have left us for 'big school'. I think it helps with the transition.

Another point in my favour is that my children are now teenagers - one just finished first year at university and younger just started 6th form so my 'Mum' time is not so much in demand.

But if you really want to run your own nursery then you should try and aim for it - don't want to spend your life regretting it and if it doesn't come off - well at least you know you tried.

Have you talked to your local Early Years Development Team - they should be able to give you advice or look up the Sure Start web-page,they may be able to help too. There is funding somewhere for new places.

Good Luck anyway

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

PS - from the actual running of a nursery/pre-school it would help if you had a partner. All my staff are great but at the end of the day they can walk away - I can't.

Regards Jan

OK Chaps

I need advice on what to do next inmy career!!!!!

I've been teaching for thirteen years and at present am in a special school. I have been here for ten years and feel it is time to move on.

BUT... at the moment I can only work part time as my daughter doesn't start school full time until Easter.

I want to really, and this is my dream, run my own nursery. But I have no money to set one up or prmises.

Next best thing would be a reception class...but do I go full/part time?

Do I take a pay cut??? (as I'm expensive to employ now)

Any advice from those who have been there and done it, gratefully received.

Many thanks

I agree with everthing that's been said - am really in the same position. Schools are able to open up now and as you already have a teaching qualification you would be in a prime position to target schools in your area. Your local EYPCD will be able to help you with business plans etc. Why not also try checking your early years strategic planning for your area to get an idea of where the short falls are. Can be downloaded over the Internet - that will give you their plans and just where the shortage of places are, if any, in a particular area - it is, or can be broken down by ward, so it is very specific. You can then check the Census office and x reference figures as the EYPCD do not seem able to keep up with current population figures and some of it is outdated. Have just finished a 3000 word assignment on this very question for my BA. Premises are the most difficult hence the lifting of restrictions for schools setting up nurseries in their grounds. This can be privately run or run by the school - always best to make sure which way you think a school would want to go. As awlays money is an issue and in my area they have not yet released details on the new funding to replace the NOF funding although I am lead to believe that there will be some money coming through but how or what or where it will be targetted - I don't know. Keep looking around for premises such as halls, sports pavilions as they often come up when you least expect them to - I missed out on one - not being in the right place at the right time and yes going in with a partner is a good idea - it is quite a big task for one person and to share responsibilties would alleviate some of the burdens.

Nikki

hi I now manage a pre-school and could not find a more fulfilling job seeing the children develop confidence and enter education with a positive approach.

I have also looked at setting up a pre-school on a school site but coventry will not let you have a modular building on a school site even with the permission of the head and goveners. So still looking for a solution.

Sophie :D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)