Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Tea!

Guest Biker

Hi everyone

Happy new year!I am hoping you will share some ideas with me.I am hoping to revamp our tea menu at After school club.We try to provide a light tea/snack .Currently we do things such as crumpets/sandwiches/wraps/dips/soup.

We do have a small cooker with hob so can provide some hot things but as there is no kitchen in school the children have a packed lunch.We can't provide a full cooked meal so the emphasis is on something healthy to "keep them going "until they have dinner at home!

The children like to be involved as much as possible in the preparation.

I would be grateful for any new simple healthy ideas.

Biker

we have the same problem we only have a microwave we do beans on toast and use a sandwich toaster we also offer a pitta bread salad selection. it does get a bit stuck in a rut though especially on a small budget

sue

I take a small oven into nursery, and we make muffin pizzas. These are simply muffins sliced in half and the children then put on the tomato paste, bit of dried basil, cheese, ham etc. which they want to we then pop them in the oven for a short while - children get to be creative and get a choice and they love them.

Edited by Panders

Im just rambling a list off the top of my head of some of the things we have done in the past we do have a basic kitchen area with a table top cooker, a toaster and a microwave and a space in the communial fridge/freezer so I can appreciate that you might not be able to do all of these things but most can be done with a toaster and microwave combination

we do pizzas alot, on various different breads and bases including ready roll pastry

if youve got a microwave melted cheese sandwiches are popular

we only have a small group so we can do things like cheesey jacket potatoes

cinnamon toast, cheese on toast, toasted sandwiches(invest in some toaster bags if you dont have a grill), tea cakes (my favourite!)

croissants

if you can boil some pasta what about pasta salad or macaroni cheese

or porridge might be an interesting option. either on the hob or in the microwave.

scones fruity or plain with various fillings (we fill up a session by making the scones ourselves first 10 minutes in our little oven and they are done!)

pancakes dont have to just be for shrove tuesday and you can buy them ready made and just warm them in the microwave and add healthy filling such fruit and cinnamon rather than syrups and sugar or savoury such as cheese and ham (I hadnt noticed but we seem to use alot of cheese!)

in the summer we make fruit salad, we're lucky to have access to a freezer so we also make fruit smoothies with icecream

simple finger foods such as bread sticks, cucumber, carrot and cauliflower with dips

cheese and apple slices

we had a local healthy eating person come in and do some healthy snacks with the children and that went down well she did a 6 week block one day a week and showed a variety of interesting ideas and healthy alternatives to adding sugar or salt to dishes

sorry about the ramblings but its difficult to know what to suggest as I dont know quite what facilities you have

Hi everyone

Happy new year!I am hoping you will share some ideas with me.I am hoping to revamp our tea menu at After school club.We try to provide a light tea/snack .Currently we do things such as crumpets/sandwiches/wraps/dips/soup.

We do have a small cooker with hob so can provide some hot things but as there is no kitchen in school the children have a packed lunch.We can't provide a full cooked meal so the emphasis is on something healthy to "keep them going "until they have dinner at home!

The children like to be involved as much as possible in the preparation.

I would be grateful for any new simple healthy ideas.

Biker

At our centre, something that has been extremely successful was noodles?? The children are able to help, we chop a few vegies in nd the cook them on a hob, they turn out fab. In fact they are so cheap to buy the children could prepare their own if you had the time!! we have 40 children so we provide a big bowl of noodles!! there very successful.... Tesco own brand packet noodles

Hope this helps

John

My daughter bought home a lovely recipe from school for their 'cooking week'. It may not sound appetising but it is delicious.

It's called Kent Rarebit- after our delicious Kent apples.

Basically apples & cheese on toast.

Children prepare apples: grate cheese, make toast.

Peel, core, slice apples into small wedges.

Adults or children supervised, lightly fry the apples ( just a spray of oil in the pan is enough) this softens them and gives the flavour.

Place apples on the toast, cover with grated cheese, then grill.

Yum, yum.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)