Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Introducing Independent Challenges

I was thinking of introducing challenges for the children to complete during the week and wondered if anyone else does this. I thought they could be linked to different areas of learning and areas of the learning environment. I'm not sure how to organise it - how many per week, how do children record if they have done it, rewards for those that do, thought about using talk tins to record the challenges on?

I'd love to hear from anyone who does this and how it works in your setting.

Many thanks

We have a wizards challenge board that I use sometimes. So far I have only introduced it, but now I am starting to look for more focussed things in observations I use it to encourage the children to access different areas of the curriculum. When used full time I have a different curriculum area each day with a challenge such as skip with a rope, write a list, make a circuit, draw an adding picture etc. If the children complete the challenge they show a member of staff and they get a small certificate. We then mark this on a register. When they have completed 10 challenges they get a present from the lucky dip box (MacDonalds toys, pencils, rubber etc). I don't like to do this all year and children are not forced to do them. It is entirely optional.

I was thinking of introducing challenges for the children to complete during the week and wondered if anyone else does this. I thought they could be linked to different areas of learning and areas of the learning environment. I'm not sure how to organise it - how many per week, how do children record if they have done it, rewards for those that do, thought about using talk tins to record the challenges on?

I'd love to hear from anyone who does this and how it works in your setting.

Many thanks

We have been using challenges- in both Nursery and Reception for a year now- in nursery we set 4 a week- our golden challenge is very open ended, and we have 3 mini challenges- one in each zone of the nursery, initially in nursery these are adult supported but as the year prgresses they are more independently undertaken- we use them to provide opportunities for both observation and extended learning. we have a challenge display 4 rockets- the children blu tak their laminated astronaut on the relevant rocket when they complete a challenge. we reward with the relevant challenge sticker and at the end of the week anyone who has completed all 4 challenges gets a challlenge champion sticker. It works really well, also helps to encourage children to visit areas they are not so keen to use.

Thanks for your replies and great ideas. The book sounds really interesting - really want to order but I've just spent £60 on other books for school!

Guest jenpercy
I have also been to a course run by Vicki Charlesworth. I bought the book afterwards and it has loads of really good ideas in it.

How about a mini review. And would the book help with working with older children out of school?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)