Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

Hi all. We changed our letters and sounds planning this year and have moved at a much quicker pace. Two thirds of the class are working within phase 3. The children I need to focus on are the ones on phase 2. All are recognising some of the sounds and progressing steadily (except one). Some are eal. I wonder what to do with these, keep plodding, extra games? Has anyone any ideas. Why have they not picked them up as quick??? I have a small group (12) with these children in and those early on phase 3 that benefit from repetition . Has anyone any ideas how to manage this i.e. phase 2 and 3 together. I have a distinct 20 minute slot each day! Also one eal boy (born here but speaks Spanish at home which I have actively encouraged) only knows 5 sounds, he was not doing activities at home but now is ie sounds lotto. Are children with eal expected to progress through L and S as others are? Any tips for me? I have asked to go on a course to help me with this.

I have a 4th year student in after the holidays. I hope to be able to work with the phase 2 group then. I would appreciate any tips as to how to get these children to progress.. Also what constitutes progression? I know language aquisition is vital. However we have great pressure to get children to phase 3 by end of Reception :o Most in my class this year are able for this but some are not!!

Any comments or help will be gratefully received!!

Edited by Mumm

Hi Mumm

Well it sounds as if you are doing a great job so far as we are not even half way through the academic year and you hasve many of your children in phase 3!

In the pilot scheme for L&S EAL children really did make progress and you are right to say keep at the games and songs etc and use lots of the phase one activities practical. Have you seen the Singing Phonics books they are great for more ideas to work at phase 2.

My advice is to keep at it and find lots of games and other activities to work on those children not there yet with phase 3 and you will see how well all of the children have progressed at the end of reception.

Do you have this progression in phonics sheet? It is good to use it each term and just wrtite the names of the children in each box. Do one each term and you will easily be able to show progress.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Lorna

Revised_Phonics_tracking_07__4_.doc_09.07.doc

Just a thought, but I know in the Italian alphabet the letters have different sounds to in the English. Is this also the case with the Spanish alphabet? Could it be that he's being taught one thing at home and another at school?

It sounds to me like you're doing a good job, some children don't pick things up as quickly as others and having eal can't help. I'd say just keep doing what you're doin xxx

Hi

I also have children working at different phase levels including EAL. The way I work it is they are all exposed to the higher level during the morning's phonic session and then in the afternoon the children working at phase 2 or lower phase 3 have a seperate 10 minute session daily in their smaller groups working at their level playing a game. This seems to work well for my children. Also, remember for some EAL children they have a period of silence where you think they are not learning anything but in fact they are internalising it all and then suddenly it all comes out!!

Hi Mumm

Well it sounds as if you are doing a great job so far as we are not even half way through the academic year and you hasve many of your children in phase 3!

In the pilot scheme for L&S EAL children really did make progress and you are right to say keep at the games and songs etc and use lots of the phase one activities practical. Have you seen the Singing Phonics books they are great for more ideas to work at phase 2.

My advice is to keep at it and find lots of games and other activities to work on those children not there yet with phase 3 and you will see how well all of the children have progressed at the end of reception.

Do you have this progression in phonics sheet? It is good to use it each term and just wrtite the names of the children in each box. Do one each term and you will easily be able to show progress.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Lorna

Thanks a lot Lorna. What are the singing phonics books and the progression sheet, is that for each child? :o

Hi

I also have children working at different phase levels including EAL. The way I work it is they are all exposed to the higher level during the morning's phonic session and then in the afternoon the children working at phase 2 or lower phase 3 have a seperate 10 minute session daily in their smaller groups working at their level playing a game. This seems to work well for my children. Also, remember for some EAL children they have a period of silence where you think they are not learning anything but in fact they are internalising it all and then suddenly it all comes out!!

Thanks. what do you mean by a period of silence? T :o hat's useful to know.

Edited by Mumm

Hi

Thanks but what so you mean by a period of silence? Is this during a session or over the long term? :o

Your EAL children will be learning to talk just as a baby learns to talk, so in the period of silence they will be absorbing the language that is being used around them and internalising it before the start to speak for themselves.

Your EAL children will be learning to talk just as a baby learns to talk, so in the period of silence they will be absorbing the language that is being used around them and internalising it before the start to speak for themselves.

Cheers. That makes sense!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)