Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Reading - Fast Words?

Hi

I am a nursery owner and have been talking with a parent whose child is now in reception class. Her son is very bright and his mother feels not challenged enough at school.

He came to visit our setting today and showed me his reading books etc. He has a book called 'fast words', were each word is accompanied by an image, supposedly to help the children recognise the word. I dislike the images and cannot see how some of them at all relate to the word. I am trying to look into this more, to understand the system or programme just for my own reference really. Does anyone know anything about this?

An example is the word into is matched to an image of a box with a number 2 inside with an arrow pointing down into the box. I have tried using the internet but cannot find anything. Wondering if it is perhaps something only implimented by this school?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Nicola

Hi

it sounds like the programme called 'Action Words' which uses images together with an action, much like jolly phonics, to help children to begin to recognise some tricky words.

I have used this type of system for a number of years in my reception class to help them to learn words that aren't phonetically decodeable with a favourable response from both the children and the parents.

What exactly is the mother concerned about? Does she fully understand the EYFS and the challenges that are set within this framework? Also the method of observing the child in order to gain a sense of where he/she is at. They have after all only been in full time school education for seven weeks?

My advice would be that she talks over her worries with the class teacher.

Ruth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)