Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play

Hi all,

I'm a bit unsure as to what to have for the role play area in my reception class in Jan. I dont know the class yet so I'm not sure where to go in terms of their interests but im itching to get started and collect resources etc. I dont want to do anything too prescriptive even though I think our theme to start is Winter to start I would like to keep it quite open...does it have to link to the theme?

At the moment the classroom has an indoor role play area and the home corner is outside..any thoughts on this??

Thanks so much in advance

Rachel

Hi Rach84 - I would begin with a home corner indoors and see how the children go and where their interests are and build another role play once you see this. I have always found that very new children usually change whatever the role play is into a home as this is what their own expereeces are. As time goes on they begin to take on other roles but not until they have had real experiences of these.

Lorna

Hi Rach84 - I would begin with a home corner indoors and see how the children go and where their interests are and build another role play once you see this. I have always found that very new children usually change whatever the role play is into a home as this is what their own expereeces are. As time goes on they begin to take on other roles but not until they have had real experiences of these.

Lorna

Hi Lorna,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with starting with the home corner and going from there. Thanks again.

Rachel

I always begin the year with a home corner too because its the most open ended. But like Lorna says they soon change it to be what they want it to be. I did just have a good role-play related to our theme of winter which worked well, it was an igloo with a numbered fish and fishing rods in a pool. Children enjoyed making snowmen pictures and snowflakes for the area too. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)