Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

One Week Down....

Well, Ive done it atlast, have just completed my first week in a Nursery school. I think I did OK. Lots to get used to and whoever said it was easy!!!! I'm exhausted. The kids and staff are great and I'm coming in just when BIG changes are being planned for September.

The observations take some getting used to and all that recording in learning journals takes forever, so my hats off to you all

I hope that I will do well in this area. I love it, but am racking my brains for ideas. The set up is thet we have 1 area a week to pln for. This week it's my turn for the creative area inc. Art Music, sand and water. Felt figures largely in my plans this week as do tweezers sequins and spaghetti in the water tray.

Many thanks for everyone's words of support over the past year. And I've done it :)

Kate

My mum always said "nothing worthwhile in life is ever easy". Well done, Kate for reaching this milestone! Only a lifetime of crawling around on all fours, finger painting and junk modelling to go.

(yes I still call it junk modelling: my dig at the PC brigade!).

Your plans sound intriguing. No doubt when the children have stopped fishing sequins out of the water tray with the tweezers they will offer you a spot of eyebrow shaping...

Hope you enjoy week 2!

Maz

Only a lifetime of crawling around on all fours, finger painting and junk modelling to go. 

(yes I still call it junk modelling: my dig at the PC brigade!). 

29566[/snapback]

Are we not meant to call it junk modelling? Sorry - abit behind the times here. :o

We call it junk modelling too, but on a course I went on they said to call it reclaimed / recycled materials modelling ... but it is hard to break the habits of a lifetime. I think the idea is to give it more status .. junk modelling sounds like it is rubbish ... but I think the children know you think their models are wonderful but they have used things we could have thrown away to do it ... !

I still find it hard not to call the lunchtime staff dinner ladies and not lunchtime organisers ... I don't think they get offended !

Galleon :o

I still find it hard not to call the lunchtime staff dinner ladies and not lunchtime organisers ... I don't think they get offended !

Galleon  xD

29601[/snapback]

What, not School Meals Supervisory Assistants?! :o

I just used ordinary eye brow tweezers... and the children learnt how to use them very quickly. It was quite a popular activity too. I loved it....very calming. :)

... but I think the children know you think their models are wonderful but they have used things we could have thrown away to do it ... !

Galleon  :o

29601[/snapback]

Sometimes parents fail to see the value of junk modelling (or models made with 2- and 3-d recycled materials). So many times I have seen parents wince when their child emerges with their whatjamacallit that they spent most of the morning creating, only to see if tipped into the wheely bin before it gets as far as the car. When you've had four whatjamacallits this week, each one bigger and more wobbly than the last, I guess they can be a little difficult to accommodate.

Soul destroying for the child though.

Maz

Junk and recycling

Don't the kids just love it - I don't like to admit it but I have to say that it's not one of my most favourite activities - I don't know why but I do know the kids love it and I really try to like it. I think its the pain and responsilibity of trying to store those pva'd and painted masterpieces until they have dried enough to take home - although there seems to be masses of glue oozing out of every crevice - why is it that the strategecially placed "green" bottle top always falls off and disppears into oblivion and no other bottle top will do and of course there is no other green bottle top in sight. Any good ideas for storing in a very small store cupboard - apart from using small junk!

Nikki

I buy a set of 6 rolls of sticky tape in assorted colours, red, blue, yellow, green, white and orange from my local "staples" store. They cost £7.99 but last for ages.

Some children struggle and need support ( I'll hold a length while they cut it or vise versa) but quite a few manage to use it by themselves.

No sticky glue that takes hours to dry and the masterpieces go home the same day.

One year the children "decorated" the rungs of the climbing frame with lots of "taped" different colours. I removed only when a parent asked me if the frame was safe, I think she thought we had taped it together because the rungs were broken. !!

Peggy