Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery And Reception Assessments

Hi,

I am responsible for overseeing a nursery class and a reception class. We are trying to formulate some kind of progress sheet / assessment which can be used for the 2 years children are with us.

We obviously use FSP in reception - is this enough or should there be more?

And what can we use in nursery?

We have tried creating sheets using development matters but these seem to turn into 16 pages of tick sheets - not good when there are 50 nursery children.

Basically - what do you use and are OFSTED happy with it?!

We use the Learning Jouneys produced by our LEA, we record the snapshot & narrative observations and do a summative observation each half term that looks at the progress the child has made. The summative sheet is A4 with 7 sections - 1 for each of the 6 areas of learning & 1 for next steps, and each area of learning has the different sections, so you could say for CLL, handwriting, working at 22-36 months, and write a sentence that shows why, summing up the past half term's observations.

We don't put an age range on them, we sum up what the child has done, but one could. We then go through the practice guidance when the child is leaving us to say what levels the child has achieved with us. Ofsted are happy with it.

Do you use Learning Journeys in nursery?

• 1 month later...

We've been coming back to this question over and over again. (We haven't found an answer yet!)

At the moment we have a baseline assessment, also we stick the level in the front of the learning journey/profile books and use different coloured highlighers to say when they are reached. We've talked about tracking software but can't make the time or financial commitment in staff time involved.

However, I would turn your question on its head. Rather than 'how should we do it?' I would ask yourself 'what do we hope to get out of it in terms of the children's learning?' That's what I keep coming back to - that it's not about gathering evidence for Ofsted, but about informing planning.

Not that we have found a solution yet!

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...
We've been coming back to this question over and over again. (We haven't found an answer yet!)

At the moment we have a baseline assessment, also we stick the level in the front of the learning journey/profile books and use different coloured highlighers to say when they are reached. We've talked about tracking software but can't make the time or financial commitment in staff time involved.

However, I would turn your question on its head. Rather than 'how should we do it?' I would ask yourself 'what do we hope to get out of it in terms of the children's learning?' That's what I keep coming back to - that it's not about gathering evidence for Ofsted, but about informing planning.

Not that we have found a solution yet!

what doyou use as your baseline assessment if you don't mind me asking?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)