Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just A Thought

Guest Spiral

Just wondering after having a conversations with another play worker;

Does every pre-school celebrate Christmas?

They thought that there are lots in larger cities that don't, but it's playing on my mind..any thoughts?

Spiral.

I suppose if you were working in a setting where all the children were from non Christian families, it would be inappropriate to 'celebrate' it. However, I should imagine you would still 'cover' it, as we do with religious festivals such as Diwali.

It's about introducing festivals from a range of faiths, and Christianity is one of those. If I had my way we would also celebrate some pagan stuff but then I do live in a village with a stone circle where druids are spotted at the solstice!

Wonder what Ofsted would say if they turned up and we were doing weird pagan rites? :o

I worked for many years in inner cities with most children who were non Christian, however they almost always celebrated Christmas in one form or another. Ive worked with very few over the years who really don't want to be any part of it all at.

Guest jenpercy

I was given a box of chocolartes at christmas when attending a Sikh temple - everyone got one. the temple was the local scout hut which we used as after school club and I just happened to go on the weekend when they were worshipping and got invited back for the meal that they end worship with.

most faiths give a nod to christmas - even if they celebrate something else of their own at this time. i'm thinking of the Jewish Hannukah which is in late December and involves present giving - so these families will often have a tree. Those that don't include such Christian religions as Jehovah's witness, who are very much against celebrating Christmas, and often will not allow children to tak part in nativity play etc.