Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thoughts on EYFS in Out of School settings.

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

Once we were a "Good" setting. When EYFS came in we were badly advised and became an INADEQUATE setting. we have now clawed our way back to being SATISFACTORY, only to find that as far as LA is concerned SATISFACTORY is just not good enough.

we have sweated blood over children that we have for as little as 4 hours a week term times only, with little actual 2 way communication from the schools.

If I could get rid of our lovely EYFS children and still nearly afford the rent, I would. Once that magic 31st August has passed they could be 5 years and a day, and my inspection report would be a one line yes or no.

Sorry for the rant but I am now counting the days to when i can close down and retire

The children are always worth the hassle, that's why I do all this committee stuff for nothing.

It's the government, legislation, etc. that is the problem, never the children.

Could you manage financially to take early retirement? Once the love of the job has gone, it's far too much like hard work to do it just for the money.

Oh Jen!

I do feel for you and understand. Our OOSC is the same. We have 4 out of a total of over 80 that are EYFS and it does annoy me that the OFSTED inspection, SEF etc is all about these 4 children and not how well we are doing with all the other children. Mind you what the EYFS children get so do all the other children.

Keep your chin up.

Hopefully you out of school bods have contributed your frustrations and views to the EYFS review - I think this is a particularly good time to address the anomalies and unintended consequences of the implementation of the EYFS. Let's hope they listen!

Guest jenpercy

It wuoldn't be early retirement as I am 61, but I had envisaged working much longer. Actually, one of the schools we pick up from is to open it's own club and take away over £250 a week income, when we are not actually making enough money to survive as is - so we will be closing during the next year. After Christmas we will be getting more EYFS, and we can't manage financially without them, but if I could, I would - not because they aren't wonderful children - but because although I am sure that we are giving them what they need, I am so fed up with having to prove that we are set up to consider them first and overall.

at school, the foundation age children are often segregated, different playground etc. we mix them all in. They get a chance to learn about getting along with all ages and all abilities. this steretches them, and gives them a frreedom they don't get elsewhere, but this doesn't count for anything. we still have to prove that we are considering the 6 learning areas, even though it is acknowledged that don't provide for all equally. we have to maintain the fiction that we are producing meaningful input into the profile for the end of year - anyone who is not based in a school - or maybe even those of you who are - can any of you say that the school cares what the childern do at club.

In the meantime, the local sports centre, heavilt=y subsidised, can claim that they are providing sports tuition for 5 year olds, although their list of activities on offer is more than the narrow list that I could use to request exemption and so they do not need to register for EYFS, even though they take 5 year olds for 8 hours a day and advertise the fact that they are idea for working parents.

80% of our effort is going into less than 55 of our children. actually the children that I would really like to concentrate on are the Year 6 children but I can't spare them the effort as this would not count with the LA and OFSTED.

thanks for listening