Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessing Children For Pre School

My Deputy has asked me to assess children for pre school. I have not been involved with pre school for a long time and feel we should be assessing them mainly on personal and social development. However, she has asked me to assess 2 or 3 children after school. I wondered if you could advise me as to what activities to set up in my classroom to get a good overall view of the child.

Hi Rocket,

Is this an assessment of the children before they start pre-school at 2 or 3 years of age?

Maybe the best way is to play alongside the children in small world activities, or with construction toys. That way, you'll be able to assess their language and communication (although this may not be an accurate picture of their ability; many children won't talk to you for the first few sessions anyway, although their parents say they never stop talking at home!) A table with threading and puzzle-type activities might be a good idea, too, as would a mark-making table with lots of nice pens, crayons, paper, etc.

I have to say, I wonder why you're having to do this! :) The staff at the pre-school will be doing this when the children start with them anyway(or are doing it now), and if they are not going to come until September, they will probably be much further along in their learning and development, so all this work won't be much use xD

Or maybe, you're being asked to assess them before they come up to you in reception? Even in that case, I think the same thing applies; what for? :o

Thanks Helen, i agree with what you say i dont think i should be doing it but the deputy seems to like giving me more and more things to do forgetting that i have my own class to attend to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)