Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Flooring

Evening all,

I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem or knows what to do with a problem with my outside flooring. Six years ago, before I started my outside area was refurbished and completely laid with what I can only describe as 'rubbery' tiles. They are the biggest pain in the neck, and although they are really good if the children fall over we are really limited to when we can be outside. In the Summer months they get too hot and last year they even melted the bottom of the children's shoes. We got the paddling pool out and they burnt their feet getting in and out of the pool. And now winter has hit they are too slippery. The frost just lays on them and turns it into an ice rink. We tried to put hot water on them but the cold retains in the tile and they instantly froze over, and on rainy days the tiles hold the water and its like walking on mush and again it becomes really slippery. I have tried to contact the people who installed them but they have gone out of business and we cant have a covered over area as our school is in a conservation area and has been refused planning permission. And we cant afford to simply pull them up as it would be a complex procedure.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Nicky

Oh Nicky what a shame. When you say rubbery tiles do you know what the actual material contains. and does that mean you can lift them easily. A lot of outdoor areas are now made of what i can only describe as a tyre composit. I would certainly get some advice from a knowledgeable person in that field. Six years doesn't seem that long for a product to be so poorly usable. :o

I sympathise with you on this one. We had a brand new playground surface fitted during the summer hols. It is a rubbery, bouncy surface which is great for stopping the children hurting themselves and looks great but it gets really slippery and icy in this cold weather. We have been told we can't put salt down as it could ruin it. Also it is really difficult to sweep up any sand, soil etc. We haven't really tested it in very hot weather yet.

I know this doesn't help you but it might be of use to anyone else considering replacing their playground surface. :o

Hi, that really shouldnt be happening with only 6 years. Is there anyway you could pull up sections of it to have some grassed or made into sections of different textures. I have actually been looking into this to create some form of path for our children but think I might stick to tarmac.

nickynooblue I suggest you contact the building department of your LA as this is really not right after only 6 years and they should be able to give you advice. If you have to take them up the LA should also be able to advise on a suitable surface but bewware tarmac is very very expensive!

The whole H&S aspect of this soft surface is so ridiculous, expensive and really unnecessary as children need to learn what happens when they fall etc!

Rollercoaster stick to your tarmac and if you want paths think about a path of textures so cobbles, paving slabs etc to give the children that experience.

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Going to take a good look on lifting them I think and get some advice from professionals. I shall let you know how it goes! Thanks again.

Nicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)