Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Ideas For Talk For Writing

Hi all I am a reception teacher soon to be introducing talk for writing into my class (after xmas) I will be doing the traditional stories as suggested by Pi in his book namely little red hen, gingerbread man, enormous turnip and Blly goat's gruff for the spring term and will make my topic for the term 'once upon a time'. In the summer term I want to move away from the traditional stories and find books to suit the topics I usually do which are space, under the sea and super heros but am struggling to think of good stories which have a strong repetitive structure which can be altered by the children. I would be very interested to hear of any stories anyone has used other than the usual traditional tales or any book suggestions for the topics I had planned to do.

Thanks in anticipation!

Oxford Reading Tree have published Tlak for writing materials based on well known stories. they are very expensive but it could be worth looking at their website to see the stories they have chosen for Reception.

You can however make your own story based on a text and use that for talk for writing.

Evening,

I have just be observed by my head doing a 'talk for writing' session, and I did 'Whatever Next' as the book as our topic is Space. It worked fantastically well and we had a lot of positive feedback. We started last week with the story map and practised it over the week. Then this week we added in three connecting words - and then, next and firstly with actions and we placed them onto the story map. Next week we are ready to add in some adjectives. Would definitely recommend it!

thanks that was useful, the stories he suggests in the ORT are rosies walk, you choose (nick sharratt) and My Brother (anthony Browne) and for Y1 Dogger, Mr Gumpy's outing and willy Wizard (anthony browne). I'm surprised there are only 3 books per year group/pack as he recommends that the children learn 10 stories a year. I had thought whatever next would be possible for space so good to hear it's worked well for you. Can't use Dr seuss or commotion in the ocean I'm afraid as it has to be narrative much as I love them! Rainbow fish could be a contender for our under the sea topic. Thanks for all your helpx

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi there,

We have been learning about traditional stories and have used the 3 Billy Goats Gruff as out T4W text and the children are absolutely loving it....we have been acting it out outside, in tuff spot, making a class story map, using the big book for guided read etc.

Other books we have used that were successful were: Walking through the jungle, Gingerbread man, Dinosaur roar and that story about a little girl going on a train journey to see her Grandma 'Welcoming me, welcoming me' can't remember what it is called.

I hope this is of some use?

Good luck

Hi, "Sharing a Shell" for under the sea, it is a book that sends a tingle down my spine every time I read it to my children. I love the story, the language and the message. Lots of repetition and alliteration too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)