Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Up A Nursery

Hi

I am in an area where there are plenty of pre school settings but little quality baby and toddler settings.

I have always wanted to own my own nursery and wondered if anyone knows where to start? get help?

I am even thinking of just opening for babies up to preschool age for now as many of the children go to preschools that are close or attached to the infant/prmairy schools they will be attending. Is this a mad idea?

I am 5months pregnant maybe thats what is making me think these wild ambitious thoughts haha

JR

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for making your first post. Do you think pursuing the childminder route initially might be an idea? You could set up a small unit in your own home, and see how popular a setting just for babies and toddlers might be in your area? Did you particularly want to set up a provision in a designated building?

Hi

Thankyou for your reply

I am not in a position to work from home as i am in a rented property.

I am also looking to create a business aswell as outstanding quality provision for our under 3's out there!

I would presumably need to create a business plan to get a loan from the bank? As no money to set up initially and need to live still!

I would suggest your first point of contact should be your local authority early years and childcare support team. They usually have a department called something like "business development". They are the people who would know about business plans, local demand, etc.

I think you have an exciting idea here. :o Many settings are not able to offer baby provision or do not want to. However, they do offer places for 2 years an upwards. How would you feel if your families moved on when their children were 2, so that they had two or more years in a nursery before moving on again to reception? Or in your area, do the nurseries that are attached to schools only take children from three? if that's the case, I think you have an excellent idea!

well, they take from 2 years 9months and some are now taking from two

i agree many people dont want to get involved with the under 3is...can't imagine why! mind you..maybe its to do with money in regards to ratios as you would need more staff.

I will definatley look into it, i have a good relationship with the staff in our local EECU so might ask.

Keep posting ideas for me! as soo much to sort out.

Thankyou

Love this idea. I am in my final year of teacher training, but love being with the even younger ones, as I work as a nursery nurse with under 3's in the holidays. Something I have often thought should exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to say I have found your idea very interesting. My long-term ambition is to open my own nursery; i am currently working in a day nursery doing my EYP, gaining experience, but the idea of childminding too is interesting.

Would be good to hear what you find out and do!

Hi

I run my own nursery and yes it is very rewarding however so it being a mum. My advice - just purely my opnion obviously would be to enjoy your little bundle (as they grow up so quick) that is pressure enough (im a mum of 5! so talking from experience!)

It takes a while to create a business plan, research the area/need , source funding etc so maybe thats something you can do after having the baby. But enjoy these last few months of pregnancy rest and relaxation. Its hard going being a mum enjoy these last few months to yourself.

I think Helens idea of childminding is a good one and theres far less regulations ie planning permission which is a nightmare trying to obtain! My friend is in rented accomodation and she is a childminder so maybe its possible for you?

If you ever need any further help PM me Ill always try and help

sharon

Hi

I run my own nursery and yes it is very rewarding however so it being a mum. My advice - just purely my opnion obviously would be to enjoy your little bundle (as they grow up so quick) that is pressure enough (im a mum of 5! so talking from experience!)

It takes a while to create a business plan, research the area/need , source funding etc so maybe thats something you can do after having the baby. But enjoy these last few months of pregnancy rest and relaxation. Its hard going being a mum enjoy these last few months to yourself.

I think Helens idea of childminding is a good one and theres far less regulations ie planning permission which is a nightmare trying to obtain! My friend is in rented accomodation and she is a childminder so maybe its possible for you?

If you ever need any further help PM me Ill always try and help

sharon

In my opinion you would not break even with only babies and toddlers as the staffing costs are so high and the space needed is larger and there are fewer of them as mothers are often still on mat leave

:o (I own 5 day nurseries)

• 1 year later...

I am currently working as a teacher within a maintained nursery and would love to open up my own. I have experience of working children, planning, OFSTED, leading a team etc but am trying to understand the business side of running a setting. Does anyone know where I could get this information from.....recommend a good book or be willing to email me so that I can pick your brains. I have been searching on the internet but wuld loveo hear from people out there doing the job!!