Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bonfire Night

Hello folks,

I am being observed next week for cll. We are 'doing' fireworks (after the event so theyll have had some direct experience of them to draw upon). BUT i have lost my mojo and can't think of an inspirational idea to get them writing.

Initially, I thought we would watch a video on espresso and then complete as a class a 'big book' on espresso using the children's ideas for words, modelling how to segment and write the words.

Next, I thought we could write group poems with the children supplying their own written words related to what they see and hear.

While very worthy, its a bit boring! Some are very reluctant to mark make. I think I need to crank it up a few notches to get them really enthused...Maybe perform it and video it? maybe invent a firework character? Sigh and then there's enhancements...

I 'acted' being fireworks today with my YR/Y1 mix. First we did catherine wheels - arm whizzing round going 'wheeeee', then rockets - all crouched down being quiet then 'fizzing' as the fuse was lit, 'whooshing' up into the sky, going 'bang' and then hissing as the sparks settled to ground. Etc etc etc.

It was a starting point for some poems the Y1s are going to write next week (I hope).

Are any of your reception up to having a go at blending words like pop, hiss, zoom? Could they add a word to a firework picture?

Do you have an IWB? If so, could you choose a black background then use various pens to draw fireworks on and add firework sound effect words. Or a rainbow background - paint over with black then use the rubber to 'draw' the fireworks.

Not quite fireworks but bonfire related, my class is having a 'bonfire party' on Friday. We've painted flames which we've attached to the wall to be the fire and done our fireworks to be above that. Lots of written vocabulary above that but more importantly I'm getting lots of great speaking and listening out of them - they're all already acting out their own parties, talking about being careful in front of the fire, toasting marshmallows, using the kitchen role play to prepare food and the making area to make (and label) a tub of popcorn. They are desperate to invite the entire school to our party so lots of mark making going on as they are writing invitations and some are doing lists of food to buy. We're also going to bake mini potatoes on Friday but they don't know that bit yet!

Just wonder if any of those spark an idea for you (pun intended :o )

Just another thought - for enhancements. Mine are again having great fun making their own sparklers this week (or sprinklers as one boy persists in calling them!) Some art straws, shredded gold and silver foil glued on to the top. All ready for name writing in the air at the party.

Love that idea HelenD26!

I have done fire work pictures by flicking paint on black paper (they loved it!), we have also made rocket firewords with junk/card. The children watched a video clip on espresso and we talked aout the different sounds they make, so children wrote labels for our fireworks display for fireword sounds e.g. pop, whizz, bang, crackle - lots of mark making but some were segmenting and writing dominant sounds.

Another great thing we have had in continuous provision is I recorded a sound clip (5 minutes) of fire work sounds and played it on CD player and children moved to sounds, they had red, yellow, oranged ribbons too. Good luck!

Gosh, feel very grateful to you for your swift responses! Thank you very much. I'll sleep much better tonight feeling I've got something to go with and develop. Great enhancement ideas too. fingers crossed!

I did a day on 'fireworks' yesterday.My literacy activity was to cover a table fully in black paper and we scribed firework sound words in coloured chalk. I had my old laminated s******box firework sounds out. Some children sounded out their own words some used the prompt cards and copied. The finished table was very effective as a group piece of literacy with an artistic bent!

thanks again! I'll watch an espresso video, read a short poem (fireworks, fireworks,fireworks whoosh bang etc) then act out the sounds, sound out and scribe some fire work words on the board (rainbow background, black on top and rub out). I'll definitely put bubble wrap out and I've got some other ideas for enhancements. I'll write the poem on black paper with chalks. The children can write their words in chalk on black paper too and then stick them on. Brilliant cos I wanted an inspirational idea to make them desperate to write!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)