Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Target Setting In F2

Hi

I am in need of some ideas.

In line with the whole school I currently set targets for LSL, NLC and W for my class of 18 F2's. The targets are set from the profile data collected over the term, adjusted accordingly and shared with the children at the beginning of group times. My problem is that this is just far too much information to keep the children up to date with. No sooner have they got their heads around one of their targets than we are moving onto the next. Let alone trying to cope with knowing a target for more than 1 area!

How does anyone else do this? Do you have 1 target for the whole class for a set period of time or do children have individual or/and group targets? How often do you change the targets. If I only give the children a reading or writing targets, then what about number or calculation. Not to mention that we also have a PSE target.

Please Help - thought I had it all under control, but now can't see the wood for the trees!

Natasha

I do pretty general targets, each term for reading (including phonics), writing and numeracy. They are individual to each child but I may have a group with the same reading target but their writing or numeracy targets may be different.

I send them home and ask the parents to share them with their chidren and celebtrate their success as they work towards achieving them.

(lay out looks weird as I use a different font on school computer)

natalie_aut_a.doc

I was always under the impression targets were for the teacher not the child in EY as all 6 areas have equal weighting!

Lorna

I don't think target setting is appropriate for EYFS. I do have next steps (on PLODs/Individual plans) which i share with parents and update roughly half termly) but I don't share them with the children, I use them to guide my planning and supporting children within their play. KST

KST I agree with you that target setting int the EYFS isn't apporpriate however it is really difficult when you have SMT who insist on it and then you have ofsted asking about targets. Last year I thought i had got SMT to understand about target setting but i clearly haven't because they have started asking for them again this term saying that ofsted want to see them.

Don't get me started on ofsted!! Maybe you can use your next steps as targets, kind of the same thing really but they do change so regularly so bit tough. Its such a shame that so many SMT don't get EYFS but ofsted clearly don't help! Maybe you can make them quite general like learning more letter sounds, or counting 10 objects in play and have the same targets for ability groups of children. Maybe someone else will be along with more constructive comments. x

KST I agree with you that target setting int the EYFS isn't apporpriate however it is really difficult when you have SMT who insist on it and then you have ofsted asking about targets. Last year I thought i had got SMT to understand about target setting but i clearly haven't because they have started asking for them again this term saying that ofsted want to see them.

I have just been 'OFSTED'ed', literally last week (Thursday and Friday) and they DIDN'T ask about targets for Reception or Nursery children. I know it varies from inspector to inspector but they didn't even ask at all about target setting for FS children.

I have just been 'OFSTED'ed', literally last week (Thursday and Friday) and they DIDN'T ask about targets for Reception or Nursery children. I know it varies from inspector to inspector but they didn't even ask at all about target setting for FS children.

I had to hand in my targets yesterday, actually I was asked for them on the spot and hadnt really given them too much thought as I dont feel/believe that young chn should have to have them set other than for PSE.

For literacy, Ive said by the end of this term my top group of chn will be writing simple sentences which include key words.

and that my lower groups will be writing words and not just initial sounds.

How buggard am i?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)