Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

Guest Biker

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone could share how they plan for After school club?

I am soon to begin working in our After school club as well as preschool.

We take children from 3-11 and activities are based on their interests but several different ways of planning have been tried(and abandoned)it seems at the moment mainly the creative activities are carried on from Pre school with other activities put out on whim from staff!

Help please!

Biker

Hello.

I manage afterschool but don't work it.

In our club we are aware from the the moment it starts that this is NOT a lengtheneded school day.

This is where children come because they have to for childcare purposes or because they have chosen the activity going on that night.

Each night our club has the following things going on, as well as the children being able to choose basically what they want to do:

MONDAYS jumping jaxx (a physical programme)

TUESDAYS jujitsu

WEDNESDAYS cooking

THURSDAYS art and football

FRIDAYS fitness/ dance

If the child does not wish to do any of the activities above, they can play with games, toys, draw, dress up, watch DVDs, play outside etc

My staff show an awareness of the foundation stage by providing a weekly (simple) plan of what activities are on offer to cover which area of learning.

They do not plan as such.

We were Ofsted'd in May 2008 as part of the private provision which was new to the school (Nursery, lunch club and afterschool)and we got outstandings and goods throughout.

We were also Ofsted'd as part of the school inspection in February 2009 and got the same grades with lots of positive comments re afterschool club.

I am not sure this helps but feel free to contact me if I can help at all :o

Edited by Scarlettangel

This is something we have lookedat recently and have decided to plan retrospectively. We just write on the plan the activities that the children themselves have selected out of which board games, dressing up, role play, physical outside games and equipment. Last week they used the laptop to look at graffiti art something they had been doing during school. They printed some off and then did their own using pens and paper. This all went down on the plan and we tried to use the 6 areas of learning to show that all areas are being covered. In fact things like board games can come under PSE, KUW, PSRN (monopoly!!) so it is fairly easy.

Thank goodness scarlett that we are doing the same as you!

Thanks for your replies.

It is really helpfull to hear how other settings are doing things.

Will let you know how we progress!

Biker

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)