Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toys Topic

Guest sonyakee

Guest sonyakee

Hey Guys! xD

I'm looking for some help. I need some ideas for the topic of 'Toys' after the half term holidays, i have no clue! :o Does anyone have a MTP plan i could have a look at please? Its for a Reception Class.

Many Thanks!

Hi and welcome. Thanks for making your first post

Is this a topic that has been given to you in school or have the children shown an interest and asked to learn about toys?

It can be very successful as the children can become very involved but if your school is directing this then there should be some learning intentions involved.

Assuming this is school led, although I have often used this topic after Christmas--you could work towards a Santa's workshop, maybe designing toys, wrapping toys etc----D&T type skills, shape & space etc.

Lots of opportunities for speaking and listening, showing favourite toys etc. How toys have changed over time--history, science--how toys move, materials they are made from etc etc.

You could use " Dogger" as a starting point. "Nutcracker" to take you into Christmas, maybe, with movement to the music etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

Think about the skills, you want the children to learn and take it from there.

Good luck and have fun.

Guest sonyakee

Hi Susan

Thanks so much for relplying! Its a topic that the children are interested in. I have already considered turning the role play area into Santa's Workshop with a Post Office attached so that the children can discuss shapes, make estimates and practise their joining skills.

I have prepared a work book to do with toys e.g. the children's favourite toys/how they move and the materials they are made from.

I have also decided to cover some KUW to do with materials, where they can be found and sorting activities.

I was also thinking about a display of the children's favourite toys and possibly some parental input from adults favourite toys to make comparisons etc.

Fantastic ideas about Dogger and the Nutcracker.

Thanks for all your help! :o

Guest sonyakee

If anyone else has anymore suggestions about 'Toy' Books that I could use in Literacy it would be much appreciated! Especially Fiction Book titles! Im stuck!

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone else has anymore suggestions about 'Toy' Books that I could use in Literacy it would be much appreciated! Especially Fiction Book titles! Im stuck!

we are doing toys this term too and use the suggestions from abacus evolve so books we'll be using are I love you blue Kangaroo, things I like, I like books (both anthony Browne) and we'll be watching toy story and making our own toy story film (filming with digiblues stories the children have made up with their toys brought in from home) we have a box from our local museum so will be comparing victorian and present day toys and we will be sorting toys by who they are appropriate for, baby, toddler, 4 year old. Our role play area is initially a toy shop and then it will evolve into santas workshop/grotto.

Hope that helps!

We are also doing toys this half term. We are using Toy Story as a visual literacy stimulus, the children watch it in short clips and then complete activities. The children have drawn a picture of their favourite Toy Story character and labelled it on the computer. We have brought in our favourite toys, had our photograph taken with them and written a sentence to say why they are our favourite. The children have chosen a toy from the catalogue that they would like and written about the toy. We have explored weighing different toys, looking at old and new toys and finding different ways to sort toys. Our books include 'Dogger', 'Goodnight Harry', 'Jolly Tall' and we usually look at some sort of non-fiction book to make our own non-fiction book with labels. Our role play area is a 'Party Shop' and the children get the opportunity to write in old cards, make their own wrapping paper (using stampers to make repeating patterns), explore finding the right size of wrapping paper for different sized presents etc. Hope this helps a little!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoops, sorry didn't mean to press quote earlier!! These are all excellent ideas. I work in a British international school and run the Early Years Unit attached with children aged 18 months to 3 yrs. We have a two year cycle of topics and I am supposed to be doing a toys topic next term. (I am new to the job and topics were already set although I can change) I am struggling to adapt it to such young children as I think it is ideal for Reception age. Ideally my children are interested in mini beasts but this topic is covered in Reception. How do you plan topics that stem from children's interests without repeating topics in the other early years classes? (Obviously you can extend learning through DMS but resources are particularly limited as well) I would like there to be more fluidity in the planning in the Early years but cannot change what is already in place straight away. Any suggestions would be great. (I have taken on the role of Foundation stage cooridnator at this school)

sorry for the rather jumbled message!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)