Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Year 1 Teachers----eyfs Into Yr1

How are you finding your children this year?

Attainment and concentration seems to be lower than ever in our yr1 cohort this year. Is this what everyone else is experiencing.

At the same time our new reception children also seem to have very very low baseline score so is the norm or is it peculiar to our school/ cohorts?

My class last year (now Y1s) were a very tricky bunch! They found concentration particularly difficult and they are finding the transition from EYFS to Y1 hard. However, my new Reception class are completely different, they have higher baseline scores and are developing well already. Its amazing how different cohorts are at the same school from year to year.

My year one this year are way below what I expected, particularly in terms of concentration and handwriting ability. Next year's class though are already showing signs of being a lot better, maybe because there's less of them. Class size makes such a difference!

they are finding the transition from EYFS to Y1 hard.

Thats my problem really, although the children actually seem to love all sitting together and "working". My play based approach has had to be completely abandoned for small pockets of choosing activities, when I need time to hear individuals read as the children do not listen well to instructions or stay focused on any learning at any other times.

What does transition look like for you?

Many thanks to the couple of you who have responded. What a shame there arent more teachers on board.

I am a reception teacher so can't speak as a year 1 teacher but reports from the year 1 teacher/TA is that my old class cannot concentrate as well as previous cohorts. My old class also seem to be having lots of behaviour problems this year hich did not present themselves in reception. I personally feel that the first term of year 1 should be like reception so the transition is as smooth as possible, with a gradual shift towards a more structured approach throughout the spring and summer term. I think my old class are finding the structure a bit difficult despite the year 1 teacher trying to make it less structured in previous years. I think that they are also really missing having outdoor learning so when I move inot year 1 next year I will make sure I plan lots outside for them. But I do really sympathise with year 1 teachers as its a big job to offer the EYFS for those children who are not secure at the ELGs as well as delivering the curriculum and there is pressure from leadership for results etc. x

I agree class size does have a lot do with it. My reception class last year was 30 with 2 very difficult boys as well as other individuals so was a challenging classin general in the end though very bright with quite a few working at year 1 level in reading, writing and number. We also had a very small classroom. This year our class has been extended its fantastic and we only have 22 children!! The year 1's in small groups come back in the afternoon to 'play' with us. We also did this last year which worked well - we manage this as we only have autumn children in, in the afternoon so not sure what will happen next year when we have them all in full time. Our year 1 teacher hasn't said anything about their concentration etc as they were poor anyway and it was a difficult class she does however have them sitting down a lot and for some that works and for others they are not ready. She thinks the transition is the fact they come in small groups into us for one afternoon a week to play so in the mornings she runs a formal year 1 class. She is also the key stage 1 leader which maks it hard and coming upto retirement. The head wants me to talk to the yr 1 and 2 teachers on our next inset encourage them to think about role play etc On another note i think listening/concentration skills in general are getting worse every year.

I feel the same about my Y1, though I had them last year as well and they seemed much better then! We are looking to implement a more formal reward scheme after half term. They definately find it difficult to adapt to the more formal teaching and expectations, especially when the rec children are self directing all around them!! I've tried to maintain the rec ethos for Y1 but they can't concentrate and if left alone revert back to rec activities and I feel i'm not covering everything!! Consequently spend alot of time with Y1 and not observing rec!!

Should also add that i find asking them to get on/sit still/ keep noise down .... doesn't work but i have some bells which i ring and instantly silence!! Even one of the worst offenders has been known to bring me the bells when it looks like i'm about to say its tidy up time or it gets noisy! Wonder if thats because parents are always on at them at home so they zone out of human voice?

Edited by Guest

I feel the same about my Y1, though I had them last year as well and they seemed much better then! We are looking to implement a more formal reward scheme after half term. They definately find it difficult to adapt to the more formal teaching and expectations, especially when the rec children are self directing all around them!! I've tried to maintain the rec ethos for Y1 but they can't concentrate and if left alone revert back to rec activities and I feel i'm not covering everything!! Consequently spend alot of time with Y1 and not observing rec!! :o

My problem is the opposite---the children are enjoying and seem to need very formal type activities which leaves me doing a lot of whole class teaching and not responding to individuals. I am modelling and demonstrating but when asked to do anything more flexible to show their learning, they really cant cope and it becomes a free for all and noisy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)