Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Woodland Creatures Activities.

Hi I am a teacher trainee, and this time I am based at the nursery. Next week I need to come up with different activities based on woodland creatures. Can anyone suggest any books, exciting activities that I can use with my nursery children. I have some ideas but I am not quite sure whether I am on a right path?

Thank you very much in advance! :o

HI Umahope,

The first text that comes to mind is the 'The Gruffalo' by julia Donaldson. The kids love it and is a personal favourite of mine.

You could recreate the scene with props in the smalll world area.

How about looking at animal tracks and cutting some out of sponges or potato for a printing experience.

Make homes for a specific woodland creature in the creative area

Have a woodland area, we converted the book corner into a woodland reading area and put in toy woodland creatures in.

Sorry brains not working very well tonight maybe other ideas will be jolted once other reply's start coming in. Hope I've been some sort of help. Tracy

Hi

Owl babies is also a lovely text. You could make collages using woodland materials collected on a walk or have some circle time discussions - how it feels like to be in the woods - scary etc

How about Percy the Park Keeper - I love these stories and there are quite a few based round this time of year. Do you have any woods nearby that you could visit? Could you make homes for Percy's friends using sticks, leaves etc. In 'After the Storm' some of the animals lose their homes when a tree blows down and have to build new ones so that might be a nice starting point. What about having a letter from Percy arrive asking for help that the children have to reply to? Could also use Tracy's ideas with this theme!

Kathryn

Thank you guys!

Owl babies is the first book that came to my mind too.

Are there any useful websites that I can us as well? As I tried to look for them and didn't find much :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)