Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Observation-what Do You Think Of Idea?

Hi,

I've got a lesson observation on Tuesday, which like normal means I've got myself worked up about it!! I was awake since about 2.30AM this morning worrying about what I was going to do, and managed to come up with an idea laying in bed (which meant I couldn't get back to sleep until gone 5-DOH!!). Anyway I'd appreciate your ideas and suggestions on it please...

I based it on a post I saw by TesTwinkles ( http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...l=play&st=0 ) but have changed it slightly to suit my topic (dinosaurs) and cater it for my FS, Yr1 and 2 class.

INPUT

First of all we'll find a box on my chair and discuss what it could be (heavy/light etc), then we'll open it and find a clue and some magic beans and glitter (thanks TesTwinkles :o ) we'll go off searching for clues around school and come back and sit in a circle. I was thinking of telling the story based on Jack and the bean stalk with actions and props e.g. start by planting magic beans then children close their eyes and a magic bean stalk appears (long piece of material hanging from ceiling), we'll then continue to act out story but instead of there being a giant there will be a dinosaur (which my TA will dress up as!!). Need to think of a fab line instead of FEE FIE...

I will then take my FS and lower ability group outside for activities

Activities

higher ability 1's and 2's: change the ending of the story working with TA

lower ability 1's: search for pictures of story outdoors and then sequence story Is this extending them enough though??? then join in FS activities

FS: a selection of play activities e.g. dressing up clothes for acting out story, seeds to sort including magnifying glasses, compost with seeds, spades and pots and junk modelling and blocks to make own beanstalk.

Sorry it's a long post, but I’d welcome any ideas and suggestions on anything else I could do, I'm still not entirely sure about the activities for LA and FS children!!

WOW that sounds absolutely brilliant!!!! You are really going to capture the ore and wonder of the world with that lesson, will have tpo pinch it myself...I did a lesson obs on Tuesday just gone and received an outstanding for it. I aswell used actions in the story of the Little Red Hen, we had a great time putting actions together for thecharacters etc. I think your differentiation sounds brilliant. I think its pitched appropriately/.. If you want I have attached my lesson plan in anotyer post called Talk for Writing if you want to have a look at it. Used Sparklebbox pictures for litle red hen.

Anymore advice let me know, also would love to know how yoyu got on aswell

Bet of luck, but looking at your ideas i think you'll be just fine....like you i get myself in a right stater too, and was up the mormning before at 4am. The stress...why do we put ourselves under it hey? love my job though and wouldnt be anywhere else

good luck

xxx

INPUT

First of all we'll find a box on my chair and discuss what it could be (heavy/light etc), then we'll open it and find a clue and some magic beans and glitter (thanks TesTwinkles :o ) we'll go off searching for clues around school and come back and sit in a circle. I was thinking of telling the story based on Jack and the bean stalk with actions and props e.g. start by planting magic beans then children close their eyes and a magic bean stalk appears (long piece of material hanging from ceiling), we'll then continue to act out story but instead of there being a giant there will be a dinosaur (which my TA will dress up as!!). Need to think of a fab line instead of FEE FIE...

I will then take my FS and lower ability group outside for activities

Activities

higher ability 1's and 2's: change the ending of the story working with TA

lower ability 1's: search for pictures of story outdoors and then sequence story Is this extending them enough though??? then join in FS activities

FS: a selection of play activities e.g. dressing up clothes for acting out story, seeds to sort including magnifying glasses, compost with seeds, spades and pots and junk modelling and blocks to make own beanstalk.

This sounds like a very interesting and stimulating lesson - well done.

Would your LAs be able to write a sentence under each sequence picture or would they need too much support?

"Fee Fi Fo Fum, Watch out Jack, here I come! 1..2..3..4..I'm a great big dinosaur!!" ???

BTW, your TA is a star for dressing up as a dinosaur!

JHeres my lesson plan for little red hen

[lesson obs 13.10.10]

Thanks for sharing - great lesson too

Hi,

All sounds wonderful and I'm sure you will be fine.

Are your LA Year 1's working on their own or with support? I also wondered if they could write a sentence or even a "have a go" word under each of the pictures?

Let us know how it goes and enjoy your weekend.

Jane x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Just wanted to say the lesson went really well, the children and head loved the carpet session and all the activities based around it too. Also popcorn thanks for sharing the lesson plan, I've planned to do a lesson based around yours next term-hope it goes well :o and finally thank you Janebe for the catch-phrase, my TA loved it. Enjoy the half term break

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)